Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: What made you start shipping Kataang?  (Read 9077 times)

Offline sparkstoaflame

• The one and only master tearbender.
  • Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 9
    • Check out the Avatar Cycle!
Re: What made you start shipping Kataang?
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2013, 01:15:44 AM »
Hmm, come to think about it, I donít have much of a preference when it comes to shipping Aang with anyone else. I'll be okay with Taang. But I can't stand Zutara and usually not anything like that (hai there Makorra). *Covers head as rabid Zutarians and Makorrians pelt sparkstoaflame with watermelon rinds and lettuce leaves* I'm sorry! ^^" It's just what I think...
If you put Korra and Asami next to each other in any given situation I will automatically assume that you like Korrasami, and then we'll be best friends.

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2013, 01:19:54 AM »
No need to apologize! You're entitled to your own opinions, heehee! I used to hate any pairing that involved Aang or Katara with anyone besides each other, but I've gotten over that, heehee.

Set from tumblr. © Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

Offline Seluna

• The Amon-istrator :|
  • Administrator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 162
  • "Noatak-in' back!"
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2013, 01:40:33 AM »
I still do love Kataang, but my rabid love for it has died down a lot.

One thing that always comes to mind is the desert scene...where Katara brings Aang down from the avatar state; all the subtle details in the animation. The tears pouring from Aang's eyes, the subtle flinching as his emotions fluctuate from rage to childlike crying. The tears coming from Katara's eyes as well as she holds him close, because it's all she can do. Everyone else is scared and runs and all she cares about is Aang - Avatar or not. He's lost literally everything and she wants him to know he's not alone, even though it seems like he is. It's still one of my favorite moments in television history. So incredibly powerful. It definitely sealed a place in my heart.

Offline Cassidy Alice

• Task Force
  • Winner!
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2013, 01:41:50 AM »
That was such a poigant scene and one of my favorites! <3

Offline ignite444

• Azula's Rage
  • Lightningbender
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 15
  • Ultimate Firebender
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2013, 05:20:48 AM »
Hm... My story... Well let's see...

Back in 05 when the series started, I actually only watched the series premier. *Gets booed at* Yeah yeah I know, lame huh? For some reason, the series didn't grab at me like it did later on. Could be because season 1 was the "meh" season of the show, but it did set up for the rest of the series. It wasn't until 06 when season 2 aired that I got hooked on ATLA. It was a totally random "this show is EFFING awesome!!!!!!1111" from this show is "meh". Of course I went back and watched season 1 to get caught up on everything.

Now, as for getting into Kataang... Well, I don't really remember what got me into it. I think it was a slow transgression into it, it wasn't a "BOOM, Kataang is my OTP!" from the get-go. Eventually though, I fell in love with it like, in the middle of season 2 I think, maybe a little earlier. or it could have been when I went back and watched season 1, I don't know.

I was an obsessed mad-woman over this ship once I fell in love with it, defending it against that huge, clunking hunk of metal ship known as Zutara. Nowadays, while I still love Kataang, I'm not obsessed anymore (even though I love all the Kataang scenes in the comics). I actually... Dare I say? Respect Zutara now. Doesn't mean I like it, but I respect it. I can see the appeal it had to a lot of fans, but there was so much going against it, especially with their compatibility, but that's for another topic. XD (Plus I think Makorra was Bryke's way of giving "Zutara" to the fans, lol!)

So... Yeah, not much of a story, but there ya go.

(Pssst, I'm new here. ;))
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 05:23:16 AM by ignite444 »

Offline Cassidy Alice

• Task Force
  • Winner!
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2013, 05:34:49 AM »
Welcome to TKC! It's great to have another shipper amongst us. ^^

Offline briola01

• Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 1
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2013, 11:08:36 PM »
Here's a great video I made of them growing up together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_zp124uEuQ

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2013, 02:46:20 AM »
This isn't the place to advertise your video, you already made a thread of it, no need to spam it all over the place.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline Nightcrawler

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • sig via tumblr, icon by delanynder
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2013, 04:55:04 AM »
I honestly don't know what made me start shipping it. Maybe because they just seemed close and hugged a lot, then Katara kissed him on the check in Bato of the Water Tribe, and I think that was that. XD

Everyone's story begins once upon a time...and it's up to us to cherish the time we're given to ensure we live happily ever after.

Offline Nakaito

• Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 6
  • "You're never a loser until you quit trying."
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2013, 06:32:56 AM »
I wanted Kataang to happen from episode one: funny main character, cute strong girl, has to happen! But I didn't let myself get too excited about it for fear of DiMartino and Konietzko being trolls. I had some faith in the ship after Fortune Teller and a lot more after Cave of Two Lovers. Katara loving on Aang after all his devotion in scenes like the Dessert and the end of Book 2 gave me feels for a week, and I'm still getting over the powerful Finale ending!
I've always been grateful to DiMartino and Konietzko for being on our side of the shipping war...and for not being trolls haha.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 06:34:43 AM by Nakaito »
"Stand in the rain, stand your ground!
Stand up when it's all crashing down!
If you stand through the pain, you won't drown,
and one day what's lost can be found;
so Stand in the Rain!"

Offline Singer of Time

• The World-Weaver
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 36
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2013, 05:55:29 AM »
I wanted Kataang to happen from episode one: funny main character, cute strong girl, has to happen! But I didn't let myself get too excited about it for fear of DiMartino and Konietzko being trolls. I had some faith in the ship after Fortune Teller and a lot more after Cave of Two Lovers. Katara loving on Aang after all his devotion in scenes like the Dessert and the end of Book 2 gave me feels for a week, and I'm still getting over the powerful Finale ending!
I've always been grateful to DiMartino and Konietzko for being on our side of the shipping war...and for not being trolls haha.

Oh they're still trolls, but about the bad ships. :>

I oughta watch The Ember Island Players again...

As for the Kataang, I honestly didn't start shipping until long after the show was over.  ^^; I pay more attention to the story of a show than the shipping at first, but I loved how they interacted.  You can really see and feel a deepening connection episode after episode.

The finale kiss still gives me the happy giggles. xP

Offline Cassidy Alice

• Task Force
  • Winner!
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2013, 06:04:57 AM »
The finale kiss still gives me the happy giggles. xP

That makes two of us! ;D

Offline Glitch

• Caleb
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 116
  • Appreciate every mistake your friends make.
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2013, 03:48:56 PM »
I started shipping Kataang in 109, The Waterbending Scroll. The two of them, their dynamic, their fluff, it was just too much to resist. And good heavens the feels of hatred in the next episode when Jet showed up and Katara was all flailing over him. ughsdfjghjkflksdfjg

Offline Rina

• Water Tribe Boy Fan Girl
  • Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 7
  • Firebender Hotty-Toddy
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2014, 10:26:09 PM »
I know this is a cop-out answer but it's just my standard operating procedure when it comes to stories. As soon as the show started shipping them, so did I. I really appreciate cannon couples simply because, as a writer, you do your best to build up character relationships and make them develop naturally, deliberately, etc. I tend to defer to the writer's wishes when it comes most things character-related. Plus, I mean, who can blame Aang for wanting to sail into water tribe territory? I know I couldn't :).

Offline Cassidy Alice

• Task Force
  • Winner!
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2014, 11:20:28 PM »
It's not a cop-out answer, I think. I'm like that too; I tend to like whatever pairings the writers support, if they have one. ^^ If Kataang hadn't been canon, I'd have made an exception for it, heehee!

Offline Light-Eco-Sage

• Addicted To Kataang!
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 25
    • Sage's Twitter
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2014, 07:29:16 AM »
I wish I still had my reason speech from Kataang Forever. *sobs a little*

I'll do my best to remember everything I said, at least in part.

Like most of the things I get into, I got into A:TLA very late. The entire show was over and done with when I started watching, which gave me the opportunity to watch it over a single weekend with little to no interaction with 'fandom'.

I pretty much knew Kataang would be canon from the first episode, but that doesn't mean that I loved it... yet.

I don't think I started doing more than watching their relationship with casual interest until the Fortune Teller episode. It may sound cliche, but that's when I really started shipping the two. Aang's obvious crush for Katara was just so adorable that I was practically screaming at the end, in joy, of course.

As the show went on and their relationship slowly became closer, it really inspired me. I'd shipped characters from other fandoms before, but I'd never seen a relationship built on such trust and mutual respect.

I was going through a tough time in my life, with the break up of my parent's marriage and the uncertainty of what would come next. But Kataang, and A:TLA as a whole, helped me through that point in my life.

I may be an aromantic in my personal life, but I can still know love when I see it, and I could totally see it for Aang and Katara by the time the series came to an end.

I know this isn't nearly as good as what I wrote for Kataang Forever. Ah, well. I hope it's good enough...

A:TLA Keeps:
Aang's Confession of Love in "The Guru"
Aang's Imaginary Wind-Sword in "Sokka's Master"
Aang's Chakras
Aang's Scars
Kataang Sexytimes
TLoK Keeps
Adult!Aang's Handsomeness
Jinora's Personality
Lin's Epic Way of Getting Dressed

Offline Cowboy Colt

• We are free to stuggle but we are not stuggling to be free.
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 231
  • Comparison is the death of contentedness
    • www.fanfiction.net
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2014, 03:19:55 PM »

It's not a cop-out answer, I think. I'm like that too; I tend to like whatever pairings the writers support, if they have one. ^^ If Kaaang hadn't been canon, I'd have made an exception for it, heehee!
Same here. xD

keeps and quotes (click to show/hide)
 ATLA keeps: Kataang lovemaking, "MY CABBAGES " line, Aangs quiet badassness
Main theme (click to show/hide)
[
Elevation requires separation.

Be thankful for each day that you have.

Member of the league of butts-Guardian's of the Markiplier fandom.

Offline mywildimagination

• Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 4
  • forever foaming at the marble trick
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2014, 08:39:37 AM »
I tend to be a canon shipper myself. Though I was a little sympathetic to Zutara once I'd watched the whole series. I mainly went with Kataang because it was canon up until a few months ago, when I really got back into the avafandom. I really identify with the airbenders, and I started to focus on the effects of their loss on Aang. It helped me to understand Aang as a person, that he's someone who is made to love people, and that loving Katara was the best healing experience he could have had in the face of such an awful loss. So Kataang became the most beautiful ship to me and I had to sail it. So I read all the Kataang fanfiction I could and I found Melon and her blog and I read her meta and that sealed the deal for me. Any Zutara sympathies in me were dashed to pieces. Now I'm practically intolerant of it, actually, in the way most people are once they've been disillusioned. But yeah, Aang is basically my favorite character of all time right now, and he and Katara are so beautiful together I can't help but ship them.

Offline Cowboy Colt

• We are free to stuggle but we are not stuggling to be free.
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 231
  • Comparison is the death of contentedness
    • www.fanfiction.net
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2014, 06:46:35 PM »
well said,my friend. well said.

keeps and quotes (click to show/hide)
 ATLA keeps: Kataang lovemaking, "MY CABBAGES " line, Aangs quiet badassness
Main theme (click to show/hide)
[
Elevation requires separation.

Be thankful for each day that you have.

Member of the league of butts-Guardian's of the Markiplier fandom.

Offline KataangFTW

• Kataang Shipper
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 11
  • The 31st Golden Raspberry Awards were spot on ;)
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2014, 12:35:41 AM »
I think I really began to ship it in The Fortuneteller. I liked the characters from the start, but once Fortuneteller confirmed that they had feelings for each other, I really rooted for them throughout the rest of the series. I was so happy for them at the finale...

Team tag by Zev.

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.