Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: What made you start shipping Kataang?  (Read 9075 times)

Offline Seluna

• The Amon-istrator :|
  • Administrator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 162
  • "Noatak-in' back!"
What made you start shipping Kataang?
« on: December 29, 2012, 08:59:03 AM »
So what was it about this beautiful pairing that made you ship?
Did it happen right away for you or was it a specific scene or moment? Share your shipping journey here!

--

Mine definitely had to be "The Desert."
I had always LIKED the ship and thought it was completely adorable - but the hardcore "OTP" status occurred for me here.
Aang was in so much pain after losing Appa to the sandbenders: his last real link to his former way of life, his family, his sense of home. Tears running down his face, visibly shaking, his teeth clencd and his faced contorted in pain and rage. And Katara just rushes to hug him, unafraid like everyone else was. She holds him close to her and brings him out of that state, collapsing into her arms.

It was at that moment I knew these two were something special. Aang brought Katara hope, but it was at this point I realized she brought the same for him. Hope is a funny thing - because in our lowest, darkest moments - we tend to only respond to people who represent this to us (whatever way it may be.) It was completely beautiful and made me realize how powerful their relationship was. What's more, despite it being in this fantastical world and setting with an abstract situation like they were experiencing - the reactions were so incredibly realistic with one another. I know for certain that when I am that angry/upset, there in only one person who can 'bring me back' - and that's my husband. I love how the creators captured something so raw and special the animation the way they did.

Just my little personal experience here - which was only heightened with FEELS! in the Serpents Pass.

Tell us yours!

Offline Cowboy Colt

• We are free to stuggle but we are not stuggling to be free.
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 231
  • Comparison is the death of contentedness
    • www.fanfiction.net
Re: What made you start shipping Kataang?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 05:23:04 PM »
I shipped kataang from the first episode(If ten year old me finding Katara attractive and wanting Aang to get with her is called "Shipping") But as I watched the show more and I grew older (especially now) I found their relationship to be something I would want in a relationship: Trust, love, and respect. and I would always want my wife to come to me when she was scared or she needed help(and vice versa).

I know that sounds corny and maybe I'm not making myself clear but that's how I feel!  I can't wait to find my "Katara" and devote myself to her completely!

P.S. I'm only 18 so there is no rush! HA!

keeps and quotes (click to show/hide)
 ATLA keeps: Kataang lovemaking, "MY CABBAGES " line, Aangs quiet badassness
Main theme (click to show/hide)
[
Elevation requires separation.

Be thankful for each day that you have.

Member of the league of butts-Guardian's of the Markiplier fandom.

Offline Saxy

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 33
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 06:05:33 PM »
I shipped it from the beginning. I was nine when ATLA came out. At that age, I would ship whatever seemed to be obvious. But as time went on, I really loved their story and connection. Book 2 had me on the edge of my seat waiting for Kataang moments to spazz about.

ATLA Keeper of: On Ji's bangs, Ty Lee's love of pink, Ty Lee's aura, Ty Lee's flirting skills, and Ty Lee's eyes
LoK Keeper of: Pabu, Ikki's Spazziness, Lin's Badassness, Korra's rage face, all of the jazzy tunes

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 08:14:57 PM »
I started shipping them from the moment Aang asked "will you go penguin sledding with me?" After watching The Fortuneteller and later The Avatar State, I think they graduated from a ship I really really liked to OTP of all OTPs for me. ^-^

Set from tumblr. ę Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

Offline EnshroudingDarkness

• Lost in Snow ~
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 43
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
I also ship them since the first episode, because this is how a relationsp should be ^^. They started as friends and strengthened that bond over time. There was always this feeling that...there is much more going on between these two. Of course they wanted you to wait until the end before they became a pair, but it was much more beautiful unlike in other cartoons/animes. And the creators even had the nerve to throw in some potential love interests for Katara, like Jet. But i knew that this was just for teasing ;) . Katara and Aang belong to each other, like the sun belongs to the moon.

"Once you enter Silent Hill there is no turning back."
ATLA Keeps
(click to show/hide)The Final Kataang kiss
The eatable effigies from "The Avatar Day"
Momo
Sokka's sword
Katara's smile

Offline Secrets

• feathered and lethal
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 73
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 08:50:53 PM »
I never really shipped it while I was watching the ongoing series. It was only until after I got into the world of fandom that I decided they were really cute together. During the series, I just went with their canon. The moments that really made me realize I shipped Kataang was when I re-watched The Cave of Two Lovers and The Desert.

Offline kataang_is_love

• Airbending Guru
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 21
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 01:19:49 AM »
I always thought they were cute together but REALLY started shipping them during the wait between seasons 2 and 3. That whole summer I was on youtube, watching Kataang videos and it was so great.

Offline Spruce

• They don't think it be like it is...
  • Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 150
  • ...but it do
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 02:25:51 AM »
First episode started it, Kyoshi Island clinched it.
The best posts I ever made were the ones I didn't make.

Offline Cowboy Colt

• Knockout!
    • www.fanfiction.net
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 02:29:42 AM »
First episode started it, Kyoshi Island clinched it.
Same for me!

[

Offline PSUKFB92

• I am...PENN STATE's...Katara fanboy.
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 21
  • Penn Stater for life. Katara fan for life.
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 04:19:12 AM »
I'm probably thrown off the ship for this.

It didn't hit me until I read a fan fiction.

When I first watched season one in its original run, I was a non-shipper pretty much. In 114 I had a feeling Katara and Aang would be together, but I didn't ship them so to speak. Then I fell out of touch with ATLA as a whole for five years once S1 ended.

When I returned to fandom in 2011 and saw the rest of the series by about March or so, that's when I first "shipped" them. However, I just followed canon, really. I didn't even know there was a Zutara or Taang until March (I resumed watching like pretty much on NYD '11). Still, I shipped them solely for canon.

Then in May, I began reading an amazing collection of Kataang one-shots. They were set during the series and expanded on the Kataang moments within. There would be bonus thoughts of the characters during said scenes, and then would have extra "off-camera" stuff. It was then that I truly stopped to appreciate Kataang for what it was and began shifting toward being a hardcore shipper/OTP'er. It opened my eyes to just how close and connected Katara and Aang were throughout the series. Now, I just can't imagine Avatar without it, can't imagine Aang without Katara and vice versa...I love the two to death. That story just really opened my eyes, and it's why I became and still remain a hardcore Kataanger.
ATLA keeps: Kataang hug from The Serpent's Pass, Sokka's DoBS WT armor, Katara's water skins, Appa, Azula's lightning.

LoK keeps: Asami's electric glove, Bolin's seaweed noodles, Korra's hat trick in the pro-bending tournament, Lin Beifong's police uniform, the waterfall behind Tarrlok's desk.

Sig made by Secrets

Offline Spruce

• They don't think it be like it is...
  • Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 150
  • ...but it do
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 04:29:53 AM »
From a fan-fiction?

That's like getting your salsa from NEW YORK CITY! (click to show/hide)

Just kidding you man, that's awesome that you had such a journey to your shippitude.
The best posts I ever made were the ones I didn't make.

Offline Natti

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 75
    • Natti's deviantART Gallery
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 04:47:12 AM »
As silly as it sounds...I started really shipping Kataang when I found out about Zutara. :| I'd always liked the pair, but I didn't go crazy for it until I found out there were people who didn't like it, which at the time seemed ridiculous to me.

Then I just loved it more and more from there. XD Now it's one of my top ships ever.

Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart. <3

Offline WinterStar

• Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 9
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 07:48:53 AM »
I'm not sure when I really started to ship them. Yeah, I thought they were cute together from the beginning, but that was it. Maybe somewhere in S2  I started to realize how close they really were and how good they would be together. The crossroads of destiny finalized it for me, with Katara bringing Aang back to life, and before that, when Aang chose Katara over the Avatar State. And I've loved them ever since.

Offline ShineyDragons

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 84
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 10:25:07 AM »
I "shipped" them right from the start, but then, I had been spoiled, so I knew they would eventually be a canon couple. Pretty much every moment between them gradually increased my fascination with them.

Offline aanglover

• Elite Borra Metalbender
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 63
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 04:13:00 PM »
I also ship them since the first episode, because this is how a relationsp should be ^^. They started as friends and strengthened that bond over time. There was always this feeling that...there is much more going on between these two. Of course they wanted you to wait until the end before they became a pair, but it was much more beautiful unlike in other cartoons/animes. And the creators even had the nerve to throw in some potential love interests for Katara, like Jet. But i knew that this was just for teasing ;) . Katara and Aang belong to each other, like the sun belongs to the moon.
^this!

I started shippin them when the show first aired. I was 11 or 12 i think when the show aired so i was very  interested in their pairing cuz i was about their age. I wanted to see how they progressed. Ivd always loved seeing characters get  together ever since i could remember (arnold/helga)..but Kataang was probably the most serious of my shippings. It got me to thinking about what i would hope to have one day. (Thankfully i found it early)
click for HD

Keeps:
-Bolins look at Korra on Harmony Tower during their date
-Korras door busting abilities
-Bolin's pants-zipper scene
-the cake & rose Bolin gave Korra
-Anytime Toph calls Aang 'twinkletoes'

Offline Water Lily

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 137
  • ~Waterbender Lily~
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 07:28:59 PM »
For me, it had to be when Aang first opened his eyes and saw Katara. :3

I started watching ATLA ever since it first aired on television. It seemed like a new "my kind of show" for me then. I really loved it, but I didn't even realize the aspect of shipping at all. Aang and Katara were (obviously) my favorite characters. Our family situations and the creeping curse of finance came in. My uncle and aunt moved out of our house (which was an extended family home at one point). After an era of problems and all that jazz, I realized the show ended. I broke out of my long gap from not watching Avatar and continued to watch every episode I missed. I didn't know when or how, but I somehow managed to ship these two adorable characters even before I continued watching the series. Then I discovered the world of fanfiction at FF.net. And there goes my wild imagination.

I was infinitely happy to see Kataang's OTPness occur and become finalized during Sozin's Comet. I was squeeing from happiness! I then discovered *sniffs* the Kataang Forever forum (bless its memorable beauty!!) So then I was introduced to the vast and epic Kataang fandom. From there, I learned of canon pairings such as Maiko and Sukka. Tokka and Yukka(Yue and Sokka) appealed to me most. Maiko of course had its own sprinkle of satisfaction. Fanfics, artwork, graphics, etc. from DA... Everything caught my eyes and made me a true ATLA shipper...as well as a Kataanger for life. :D

"I didn't ask for your whole life story." ~Mai

I know, but that folks, is the story of how I became a kataanger. <3
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 06:43:42 AM by Water Lily »

~To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.~

Offline Cowboy Colt

• Knockout!
    • www.fanfiction.net
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 04:02:26 AM »
For me, it had to be when Aang first opened his eyes and saw Katara. :3

I started watching ATLA ever since it first aired on television. It seemed like a new "my kind of show" for me then. I really loved it, but I didn't even realize the aspect of shipping at all. Aang and Katara were (obviously) my favorite characters. Our family situations and the creeping curse of finance came in. My uncle and aunt moved out of our house (which was an extended family home at one point). After an era of problems and all that jazz, I realized the show ended. I broke out of my long gap from not watching Avatar and continued to watch every episode I missed. I didn't know when or how, but I somehow managed to ship these two adorable characters even before I continued watching the series. Then I discovered the world of fanfiction at FF.net. And there goes my wild imagination.

I was infinitely happy to see Kataang's OTPness occur and become finalized during Sozin's Comet. I was squeeing from happiness! I then discovered *sniffs* the Kataang Forever forum (bless its memorable beauty!!) So then I was introduced to the vast and epic Kataang fandom. From there, I learned of canon pairings such as Maiko and Sukka. Tokka and Yukka(Yue and Sokkak) appealed to me most. Maiko of course had its own sprinkle of satisfaction. Fanfics, artwork, graphics, etc. from DA... Everything caught my eyes and made me a true ATLA shipper...as well as a Kataanger for life. :D

"I didn't ask for your whole life story." ~Mai

I know, but that folks, is the story of how I became a kataanger. <3

I was happy to hear that journey/story, Lily!

[

Offline Schmitty

• Naive Fools Club!
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 63
  • A little bit crazy, and proud of it!
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 11:59:23 AM »
I always "shipped" them I guess. From the first episode I was like "Oh, these two would be cute together." I also knew from their first interaction that they would inevitably end up together.

The moment they became my one and only OTP (at the time I would have had no idea what this meant) for me is probably The Serpent's Pass. Yes, the ending of The Desert is probably one of the most gripping scenes I've ever seen in an animated show. But it's just they way that even when Aang made it clear he didn't want to be helped, Katara never gave up on him, but she wasn't pushy about it. She was gentle and patient and understanding, and when the time came around, Aang finally stopped running and they shared the most bitter sweet, heart warming hug in the series. Plus the look Aang gave Katara when he saw little baby Hope.

You just know that at this moment Aang is looking at Katara and imagining what it would be like to have a family with her.

Ironically, it wasn't until LoK aired that I became absolutely obsessed with them. I think it was because I already loved the idea that they were together, and during the original run I was waiting for them to finally hook up. I guess I was a shipper before I even knew what shipping was. But finding out they stayed together and had a family is what drove me over the edge to become a less then sane shipper.
Spread the Katara angle!

ATLA Keeps: The Taunting Fish (114), Katara's Blushes, Aang's Energybending, The Kataango, Sokka and Aang's Bromance
TLOK Keeps: Aang's Beard, Katara's importance of family, Kya's sass, Bumi's facial hair, Vacation Tenzin

Offline quidditchchick

• Councilwoman quidditchchick / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 146
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 12:03:56 PM »
It's funny, Kataang is actually the reason I started watching the show. The first episode I saw was EIP, unfortunately. Probably the worst possible episode to see first since they cover a lot of the show in the play. ^^' But it had some Kataangst and I was like o.o maybe I should check this show out because I'm a hopeless shipper. Then, of course, the show was amazing, so I continued watching.

So I really have to thank Kataang for sparking my interest. :3

~Set by me~

Offline The Melon Lord Approves

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 121
  • World's Biggest FAangirl
    • My tumblr
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 08:41:30 PM »
Awww, QC, that's adorable!

My Kataang story is boring.  I was 13 when ATLA premiered, and I watched it religiously (although I must confess, thanks to some complications in my life I did end up not seeing everything that happened after... eh, probably The Puppetmaster or around that, until just a few months ago, because I am lame and wandered off to other fandoms for a very long time), and from literally the very first moment that Aang woke up in her arms and those two crazy kids both looked unnaturally happy to see a total stranger, there just wasn't any question. There was literally not one single doubt in my mind that these two were going to end up together.

I think that's why, during the original run (or at least, as much of the original run as I followed, seeing as I missed most of season 3), I wasn't a hardcore shipper. I loved their relationship and I was excited to see it unfold, but I wasn't obsessed about it because there was just no doubt at all in my mind that they would be together when all was said and done.  And then I came back, rewatched the series a few months back, fell in love with the story all over again, and realized just how amazing and deep their relationship is on so many levels, and it just inspired the shipper in me.

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.