Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Creative Resources  (Read 5424 times)

Offline Seluna

• The Amon-istrator :|
  • Administrator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 162
  • "Noatak-in' back!"
Creative Resources
« on: November 17, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »
Welcome to the Gym's Resource List! The aim of this section is to provide authors, artists, and media-makers with useful websites, resources, and tips we find along our creative journeys! Feel free to add yours, too! We'll add them into their respective sections and remain archived for everyone below the cuts! Have fun and share what you learn along the way!

Art Resource Master List (click to show/hide)Are you a budding artist? Or perhaps an established artist who's interested in furthering specific studies, such as anatomy or digital mediums?
Here are some valuable sites and sources to check out. They vary in a wide arrange of subjects.

If you have further mentions to add to this list, comment below and we'll stick it in the master list!

Figure Drawing Tools

What are they?

These sites are anatomical resources that offer interesting and dynamic poses to draw from. They are excellent sources for gesture drawing, specifically.
**Be aware that the below links show tasteful nudes: nothing graphic, just life drawing study photos and poses.

Reference Images

What are they?

Various resources and tools for artistic reference. May come in handy for specific guidelines and general inspiration!

Photoshop Brushes and Textures

What are they?

Brushes and textures to enhance your digital coloring!

Free E-books

Graphic and Media Resource Master List (click to show/hide)
If you're stumped on where to find the perfect font, that finishing texture, or just the screencaps so you can start your piece—this is the place to start! This topic serves to link to just enough sites to help you get started. Of course, there are plenty of other sites out there that will not be listed here. In the end, google will probably be your best friend. This post may be edited/updated in the future!

screencaps

piandao (avatar) | grande caps (korra) | dongbu feng (both) | avatar spirit (both)

fonts
dafont | lost type | what the font | google fonts | deviant art | 1,001 free fonts | font source

textures
deviant art | northern dawn | 99mockingbirds | textures r us | texturize | 100x100 textures | icon textures | pennylane art | xsakitjiwax | soa ked | texture source

and more...
deviant art | hex graphics | icon coloring | icon extras | icon needs | icon tutorial | icon gradients | brush fanatic | brusheness | gradiental | photoshop extras | coloring help | resource love | yeah ps

Writing Resource Master List (click to show/hide)All right word warriors, pump those pencils or give your fingers a workout on that ergonomically correct QWERTY key board!

You can't get in shape for the contests or become a recreational amateur (or budding professional) writer without the right tools! Even if you think you're a grizzled old word smithy, there are always things to learn!

Here's a set of very useful grammar, spelling, and composition tools from the professional novelist and essayist communities. They are good! (tip of the hat to seluna for these):

How to write a great synopsis

First time novelist/storywriter

A 30-day writing challenge for 50,000+ words

Daily writing tips

Guide to grammar and writing

Grammar and Plagiarism checker

Writing software

Pixar's Rules of Storytelling and Helpful Advice

Lazy and Passive Words to Avoid When Writing
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:09:38 AM by Seluna »

Offline tsu

• that's the right answer, alchemist!
  • Trainer tsu / Task Force
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 23
  • you've beaten me. take it—take it all!
    • tumblr
Re: Creative Resources
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 03:12:06 AM »
If you're stumped on where to find the perfect font, that finishing texture, or just the screencaps so you can start your piece—this is the place to start! This topic serves to link to just enough sites to help you get started. Of course, there are plenty of other sites out there that will not be listed here. In the end, google will probably be your best friend. This post may be edited/updated in the future!

screencaps

piandao (avatar) | grande caps (korra) | dongbu feng (both) | avatar spirit (both)

fonts
dafont | lost type | what the font | google fonts | deviant art | 1,001 free fonts | font source

textures
deviant art | northern dawn | 99mockingbirds | textures r us | texturize | 100x100 textures | icon textures | pennylane art | xsakitjiwax | soa ked | texture source

and more...
deviant art | hex graphics | icon coloring | icon extras | icon needs | icon tutorial | icon gradients | brush fanatic | brusheness | gradiental | photoshop extras | coloring help | resource love | yeah ps

super cool secret santa gift (click to show/hide)

Offline A6

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 230
  • avvie by Water Lily
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 12:04:10 PM »
All right word warriors, pump those pencils or give your fingers a workout on that ergonomically correct QWERTY key board!

You can't get in shape for the contests or become a recreational amateur (or budding professional) writer without the right tools! Even if you think you're a grizzled old word smithy, there are always things to learn!

Here's a set of very useful grammar, spelling, and composition tools from the professional novelist and essayist communities. They are good! (tip of the hat to seluna for these):

http://www.writershub.co.uk/resources-piece.php?pc=1386 (How to write a great synopsis)

http://www.writershub.co.uk/resources-piece.php?pc=1334 (First time novelist/storywriter)

http://www.nanowrimo.org/ (A 30-day writing challenge for 50,000+ words)

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/ (Daily writing tips)

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/ (Guide to grammar and writing)

http://www.grammarly.com/?q=plagiarism&gclid=CM6z9IDO87MCFWrZQgodNzMAaQ  (Grammar and Plagiarism checker)

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/writing-software/ (Writing software)

If you guys have your own favorite tip sites, share them and tell us about them.

Writing Trainer A6
signatures - gift from my talented friends Water Lily and Honey Badger :3

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 12:53:29 AM »
Oh, these will come in handy. Thank you Seluna and A6!

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline A6

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • avvie by Water Lily
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 04:45:43 PM »
Our pleasure Fe.  We really wanted to beef up this portion of the Board to aid writers.  Having real resources than just personal experiences/tips was an important feature! XD

Offline Cowboy Colt

• We are free to stuggle but we are not stuggling to be free.
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 231
  • Comparison is the death of contentedness
    • www.fanfiction.net
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 06:03:56 PM »
Thanks, A6 and Seluna!

keeps and quotes (click to show/hide)
 ATLA keeps: Kataang lovemaking, "MY CABBAGES " line, Aangs quiet badassness
Main theme (click to show/hide)
[
Elevation requires separation.

Be thankful for each day that you have.

Member of the league of butts-Guardian's of the Markiplier fandom.

Offline A6

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • avvie by Water Lily
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 07:01:39 PM »
Glad this will help you Cowboy! We will have more extensive discussions but we're just getting started now.  Please give us your questions and we can all discuss, but this is my specific TKC job to help! XD

Offline Spruce

• They don't think it be like it is...
  • Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 150
  • ...but it do
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 02:37:40 AM »
These might as well go here too, for archival purposes:
Quote (selected)
1. Instead of just free writing, which can get derailed quickly by a momentary loss of good ideas and/or inspiration, try mapping out the story (or a portion of the story) from beginning to end, starting with where you want to begin writing and ending with whatever point you're happy with stopping at in the short term.

Make a sort of outline of general ideas, or significant moments you want to see happen (Ex: the characters meet, uncomfortable at first, then they go away for some reason, then they meet up accidentally and talk things out, end with a kiss). Some details might be missing ("what exactly is making them uncomfortable?" "How do they meet up again accidentally?" "Why do they kiss this time?"), but the "highlights" or what events will be depicted in this hunk of writing will all be there.

So when you sit down to write, you have it broken down into the key points you want to hit on. These can be put down before you lose motivation relatively quickly if you focus on just gettign that "skeleton" of the story right when you start. Now when you're writing, you fill in those key points, and stitch them together before publishing.If you get stuck, or get writer's block on one part, or whatever, you can stop and come back to whatever part later without having lost all your ideas and momentum.

I find it a lot easier to lose inspiration, stop for a few hours or even a few days/weeks, and start back up when I have a "pint" towards which I'm movingm right there in front of me. You're not trying to pull out the entire chapter or story in one great big rush of writing, you're going step by step, checkpoint by checkpoint, the way you mapped out back in the beginning when you had your creativity flowing stronger.

Works for non-fiction writing too, as it were.

2.Figure out your distraction triggers. I kept listening to music when I wrote because doesn't everyone get "in the zone with music?

Turns out I don't. It distracts me and breaks up my initial rush of ideas. Music is fine if I'm already in a really strong grove, but if it's tenuous or just starting I'm better off in total silence.'

So think about what you're doing while you're doing it, and see if you can identify when something takes you off track, or what helps keep you on. It's going to be unique for everyone.

Also, found this:
The best posts I ever made were the ones I didn't make.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 03:26:31 AM »
A6, you may want to point out that NaNoWriMo is already over for the year.

Those things you posted are also very helpful, Spruce.

Offline Secrets

• feathered and lethal
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 73
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 03:32:08 AM »

Offline A6

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • avvie by Water Lily
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 12:18:02 PM »
Ah thanks for pointing that out Fe and Secrets - the tips are still useful though. ;)

And we'll watch for their next round in 2013.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 12:00:21 AM »
You're welcome.

If I'm motivated enough, I might actually try to write in the contest. Depends on what I'll be doing in November though next year.

Offline Secrets

• feathered and lethal
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 73
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 01:05:59 AM »
I can only do the summer one. I don't have any time during November.

I did complete the summer one this year though!

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 01:56:40 AM »
Hmm, maybe I'll try for the summer one as well.

Offline Seluna

• The Amon-istrator :|
  • Administrator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 162
  • "Noatak-in' back!"
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 11:44:39 PM »
Lazy And Passive Words To Avoid When Writing:

(click to show/hide)Got: This is a weak and terrible verb to use when writing. Instead of saying “I got a flower”, say “I picked up a flower”, “I found a flower.”, or “I obtained a flower.” Got tends to be vague and lazy, do you mean ‘got’ as in found or ‘got’ as in have? Note: It’s not acceptable to use ‘Have Got’, either.

Versions of To Be (Am, Are, Was, Is, Were…): Instead of saying “We were at the store.” you could say something like “We decided to drive to the store to purchase some groceries.” or “We arrived at the store just as the sun was starting to set.”

Very, Really, and other word intensifiers  For example, instead of saying “She was very sad and mad”, say “She was malcontented” or “She was  miserable.” These magnifiers lack precision.

Feel: “I feel that the sky should not be so cloudy today.” You cannot feel an opinion. This person meant to use ‘believe’ instead of ‘feel’. To feel is usually used to describe a person experiencing emotions. Although, even if you’re using this word in the correct context, this word should still be avoided. Instead, the writer should show the emotions through the character’s actions and dialogue.

Sort of/Sorta/Kind of/Kinda: “Your statements were sort of upsetting.” If it’s not exactly upsetting, then what is it? Instead try rewording sentences without using these words. Like, “A few of the statements in your writing will offend your readers.”

Just: They’re useless and meaningless to your overall sentence. Without ‘just’, your sentence will become more direct.

Not: Avoid using ‘not’ and negative words formed with the prefixes ‘ir-’ and ‘un’.

Eagerly, Anxiously, Nervously, and Similar Adverbs: Instead of describing how someone did an action, one should describe their body language. For example: “He nervously waited for his turn to speak” should be rewritten as “He stood waiting on the side, constantly fixing his hair,  biting his lip, and looking around the auditorium.”

Weak Transitions (Finally, Then, Next, First, Secondly…): Finally implies an exhaustion such as “Finally, Robert crossed the street.”. Instead of using then or next, list specific times or locations.

Perfect: Don’t use this as an adjective for someone or something. Except for a few exceptions such as, perfect test scores.

As to whether: Use Whether.

Being that or Being As: Instead use ‘because’.

Equally as: Instead, use ‘equally’ or ‘as…..as’. “The pizza is equally as delicious as the spaghetti.” “The pizza is as delicious as the spaghetti.” or “The pizza and spaghetti are equally delicious.”

Had/Hadn’t ought: Eliminate had or hadn’t. “You ought not to eat 7 tubs of sour cream.”

Per: Use According to.

Try And Do: You don’t try and do something, you try to do something.

Cited from: http://writerscoffee.tumblr.com/post/37107295354/lazy-and-passive-words-to-avoid-when-writing

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 11:56:04 PM »
That's really helpful. I think my biggest problem is I use the word "just" too often.

Offline Light-Eco-Sage

• Addicted To Kataang!
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 25
    • Sage's Twitter
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 12:11:39 AM »
My best advice to anyone wanting to get started writing is to just do it!

Just hop in there and write something, even if it's absolute junk. I can promise that every writer you've ever loved looks back on their first stuff with embarrassment. (I certainly do...)

No one starts out as a master novelist, and too often I come across people who want to get into writing who want to instantly write as good as people who've been doing it for years.

Just stay patient, practice, and don't be too discouraged by the first stories that you put out. You will improve with time.

A:TLA Keeps:
Aang's Confession of Love in "The Guru"
Aang's Imaginary Wind-Sword in "Sokka's Master"
Aang's Chakras
Aang's Scars
Kataang Sexytimes
TLoK Keeps
Adult!Aang's Handsomeness
Jinora's Personality
Lin's Epic Way of Getting Dressed

Offline Saxy

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 33
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 01:37:26 AM »
http://writtenkitten.net/

My favorite website. For every 100 words you type, it motivates you with a cat picture. Not into cats? Here's a version with dogs:

http://writtenkitten.net/?search=puppies

ATLA Keeper of: On Ji's bangs, Ty Lee's love of pink, Ty Lee's aura, Ty Lee's flirting skills, and Ty Lee's eyes
LoK Keeper of: Pabu, Ikki's Spazziness, Lin's Badassness, Korra's rage face, all of the jazzy tunes

Offline A6

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • avvie by Water Lily
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 01:40:03 AM »
Haha! That looks great!

I need one that gives you chocolate...

Offline Saxy

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 33
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 01:57:59 AM »
For Nanowrimo I bought myself some really nice chocolates as motivation to hit my quotas. I never reached my quotas but the chocolates were good!

ATLA Keeper of: On Ji's bangs, Ty Lee's love of pink, Ty Lee's aura, Ty Lee's flirting skills, and Ty Lee's eyes
LoK Keeper of: Pabu, Ikki's Spazziness, Lin's Badassness, Korra's rage face, all of the jazzy tunes

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.