Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Welcome to the Creativity Board!  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Seluna

• The Amon-istrator :|
  • Administrator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 162
  • "Noatak-in' back!"
Welcome to the Creativity Board!
« on: November 17, 2012, 08:47:47 AM »

The Gym

Listen up, athletes! Coach Toza here. Yes, I'm talkin' to you! All you artists who want to refine their skillets and improve your inspiration's endurance! You writers who want to strengthen the impact of your stories and bulk up your word counts! And not to mention all you graphic designers and media makers who want to train in multiple forms! Before you make it to the hall of fame, you gotta keep practicin' here in The Gym! Located in the heart of the Pro-bending arena, this is the place to practice your skills before heading to the Championship Arena. Whether you're an artist, writer, or graphics/media maker - we've got the necessary equipment and guidance.

Everyone is equal in my gym: whether you're a rookie or pro, you'll always be welcome to work out here! What do we do here, you might ask? Very simple: we strive to hone and improve our talents.

You can share tips, post tutorials, share lessons, give advice, share constructive critiques, post challenges (quick exercises for people to try), or talk about your creative process in general. You'll only improve with practice and the proper conditioning. Find others to work out with and motivate you! If you're here on a visitors pass, feel free to cheer on these hard-workin' athletes from the bleachers! Watch these players progress at each practice!

Need someone to spot ya? If you want some personalized coaching, you can ask our experienced trainers or the other athletes within! Feel free to consult Trainer A6 about the power of the pen, Trainer Alpha about showin' those drawings whose boss and Trainer tsu about grappling with those graphics and upping your moxie in mixed media! These three even have some special classes and resources up for you to start your creative regiments!

My Number One Rule: be kind and constructive in your advice. These workouts are meant to target areas of desired improvement! Anybody personally insulting an athlete or their efforts is gonna get a whistle blown at them and be benched ‘til ya chill out. Got that, athletes?

-Coach Toza.

P.S. As always, this is the general board and forum rules must be followed. The Gym only hosts material that goes up to a T-rating at this time. Thank you!

Offline A6

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 230
  • avvie by Water Lily
Re: Welcome to the Gym!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 10:25:07 PM »
Greetings fellow writers.  Writing Trainer A6 here.  Coach Toza has entrusted me with helping out in the gym – for all you new and experienced writers. 

Here we can get into the fun of what creative writing is all about.  If you’re just getting started with this hobby or been writing a long time, this is the place to be before you start in the Arena Competitions, or come back here between competitions to tighten up those skills with me and your friends.

You can share tips, post tutorials, share lessons, give advice, share constructive critiques, post challenges (quick exercises for people to try), or talk about your creative process in general. You'll only improve with practice and the proper conditioning.

Here we will help you find  others to work out with and motivate you! This is the place to come to find fellow authors to team up with for collaborative writing, and to seek editors (also known as ‘betas’ who will read and critique your work), and of course I am here to help provide personal assistance.

Here’s a little about me, and how I intend to use my writing experience to help you be a better writer.  I rediscovered my interest in creative fiction writing that I stopped in high school over forty years ago. I started again because I was inspired by the ATLA show and other fan fic writers that I met. As a result, I've become an experienced freelance and competitive ATLA and ALOK writer. I also have written Terra Nova, Star Trek and Disney (Tangled, Atlantis, Tron) fan fiction too.  I love collaborating in writing with other authors and with artists to do what we call 'pic and fics' - pictures and fiction.  I find competitive writing challenging and fun, and hope you will too! :D

I am dedicated to helping you improve as a writer as I grow myself by working out with all you fine word warriors! Because of my interest in writing, combined with my real life volunteer activities with youth of nearly all ages from grade school through college, I like to coach and mentor young writers, and intend to apply that here on TKC as a member of the Task Force as a "Writing Trainer" (keeping in character with the Forum).

I follow Coach Toza’s Number One Rule to the letter: be kind and constructive in your advice. These workouts are meant to target areas of desired improvement! Anybody personally insulting an 'adjective athlete' or their efforts I have to give them a time out.
signatures - gift from my talented friends Water Lily and Honey Badger :3

Offline Bjolfr

• Trainer Alpha / Task Force
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 125
  • Formerly Alpha
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 02:33:18 AM »

Hello friends, Alpha here! I'm here to help you all out in the artistic realm! New artists and long-term artists alike are welcome to hang out, improve their skills, and share their artwork.

Here, we can share resources, offer constructive critiques, and post tutorials. You want to improve, right? We want you to improve, too! Feel free to post WIPs (works-in-progress) for advice and critiquing. My job here is to spot you, mentor you, and provide my own personal assistance.

And now, for a little about me: though I don't consider myself a real "artist" by any means, I've been doodling for a long time, and people even seem to enjoy it. I work digitally, and most of my drawings, conceptually, are Tolkien-esc and fantasy-based - though I've been known to scribble a classic tattoo design or two.

Other than an "artist", I am a drummer, biker, volunteer fireman, lumberjack, and modern-day viking. I was raised in a cave, by bears, but now I live in the deep woods of southwest Michigan. At a glance, I might come off as a massive meathead, but I promise that I'm actually a very cheerful dude!

I'm a very friendly man and passionate about helping others, so don't hesitate to contact me if you need help, or just want to chat. I like to like things, and I probably like you, too!

(FYI - this will probably be edited quite a bit. Just wanted to get it out there!)

Offline tsu

• that's the right answer, alchemist!
  • Trainer tsu / Task Force
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 23
  • you've beaten me. take it—take it all!
    • tumblr
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 05:10:30 PM »
Hey there! I'm tsu, and available for help in graphics. If you want to learn how to achieve a certain effect, post a tutorial, share resources, or have your work critiqued then this is the place to do it! Of course, don't take that as a limit to the things you can post here, the point of this board is to help you improve and to polish your skills--just about anything related to that is appropriate. Any and all graphic artists are welcome here, so don't be shy!

Keep in mind that you should be positive and constructive when either commenting on or critiquing someone's work, though. Pointing out things that you think could use improvement or changes is clearly a key point to helping someone improve, but never outright trash someone or their work. Remember, no one starts out knowing what they're doing.

As for me, I've been making graphics for around six years now, but I've found in the past year or so that icons are my personal favorite to make. That's probably partially due to the fact that I find them the easiest to make, but that's not to say I don't enjoy making sigs, banners, or anything else. Graphics aside, I'm also an amateur Japanese-to-English translator and have a passion for good literature and animation.

If you have any questions or need some help, feel free to drop me a pm any time!

super cool secret santa gift (click to show/hide)

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.