Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Cosplay  (Read 9956 times)

Offline blAIRbender

• Those are brave men knocking at our door...
  • Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 5
  • Live every week like it's Shark Week.
Cosplay
« on: December 13, 2012, 05:14:47 AM »
For those of you who are unfamiliar with cosplay, the word comes from the words "costume" and "play." It's largely a part of Japanese culture. But meh, we all do it nowadays, right?

So yeah. Uh, discuss cosplay things. Got any cosplay plans or projects your working on? Want tips/advice? Sewing machine giving you hell? Please, share! Anything and everything pertaining to cosplay is welcome.

I guess I'll share some stuff about my cosplays first. To date, I've done seven cosplays. Eight if you could the burlesque outfit I wear to cons every so often. More specifically, I've done: Matt (Death Note), Mello (Death Note), L (Death Note), Light (Death Note), Lust (Fullmetal Alchemist), Kate Ashley (Red Garden), and Doctor Girlfriend (Venture Bros). I've remade my Matt cosplay like…three times because I'm a perfectionist and I needed the vest to be perfect. It is honestly the best thing I've made to date, no question. I am damn proud of that thing. I'll post pictures at some point of all my stuff. Too tired right now.

But yeah. Cosplay. Discuss.

Offline quidditchchick

• Councilwoman quidditchchick / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 146
Re: Cosplay
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 05:20:05 AM »
Man, I really love to cosplay, but I wish I was better at sewing. I've really only just learned how and I've only made one thing before and it was a simple pair of pj pants. :/ So I have to resort to buying things and putting them together and hoping for the best. If I could make cosplay, man the things I could do. @_@

~Set by me~

Offline Milliardo

• Gundam Pilot
  • Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 6
  • On your grave...
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 05:45:10 AM »
If I was younger I would probably cosplay, but now that's not my priority. I still go to cons every now and then to look at the cosplay competitions..

Offline lilithxchan

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 29
  • Korrasami Expert
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 11:27:57 PM »
I've doen a few cosplays when I was still identifying as male.

I've done Yoko Kurama, Echi Onizuka (that one was sooo easy!), Abarai Renji, and Azuma from naruto.

Cosplays i would love todo

Lulu from FFX.. even when I was sitll Identifying as male I wanted vto do Lulu. SO is just so.. Lulu.

My hair is too long now or i'd try to pull off Faith from Mirror Edge.

Offline Nightcrawler

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • sig via tumblr, icon by delanynder
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 05:11:57 PM »
If I had the money, I would cosplay a lot.

I did a dementor for Halloween if that counts.

Oh, and my friend cosplayed as Zelda from the the Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword game.

Everyone's story begins once upon a time...and it's up to us to cherish the time we're given to ensure we live happily ever after.

Offline Harley Quinn

• hi puddin'
  • Lightningbender
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 56
  • Formerly JHZ
    • my own site yo
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 03:12:49 AM »
I'm slowly but surely gathering the bits to do Rapunzel's wedding dress from Tangled Ever After.  I want to do it authentically as a real wedding dress so it's gonna take time and money. I hope to have it done to wear with my Flynn at Dragon*con.

Aside from that, I'm in the process of a Madame Vastra from Doctor Who for Gallifrey One this February. Most of it's already done I just need to figure out how to properly do the makeup. My initial attempts to make the headpiece haven't worked out so far.

My revamped Black Cat was a hit at the comic convention here a couple of months ago. Though I still want to tweak it a bit. Miss Marvel is almost done as well, and I got the spandex to get started on Spiderwoman. There's a privately owned store in Dallas that has a huuuuuuuuuge room with nothing but spandex of all kinds so whenever they have a sale I stock up. (So yeah if anyone's looking for a specific color you can't find IRL or online for cheap let me know and I can see if they have it. ) My boyfriend's redoing his Deadpool and once he's done with that I'm going to make Siryn so we can be all cute and couple-y... in spandex. Um.

It's kind of a shame that my cons are few and far between next year. I'm doing Gallifrey One, but that's all Doctor Who and I'm most rewearing older costumes (Jo Grant, Abigail, Amy Pond, etc). There's a Supernatural con in Vegas in March but that's all closet cosplay and makeup effects more than anything. XD  A-kon's the big anime con here but that's up in the air because it moved to a more expensive location and I hadn't had a good time the past few years due to how crappy they run it. And then there's Dragon*con... which is the end of August.  I'd probably get more done if I had more occasions for wearing them.  The local cosplay groups here are super weeaboo at times and it's a little disheartening. D:

Offline Nightcrawler

• Round 2!
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 10:10:12 PM »
Once you get done with Ms. Marvel and Spider Woman, you should post pictures. Same with Siryn. I bet they'll be awesome.

Everyone's story begins once upon a time...and it's up to us to cherish the time we're given to ensure we live happily ever after.

Offline GothicAngel

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 90
  • All roads lead to Rome, but we ain't goin' to Rome
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 10:47:14 PM »
I'm part of a cosplay group called FUBARcosplay (F*cked Up Beyond All Recognition) with a couple of my friends, and we sometimes go around the MOA dressed as a certain anime. I always play the girl 'cause I can't cosplay guys.

Offline Milliardo

• Gundam Pilot
  • Pro-bending Fan
  • On your grave...
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 12:46:51 AM »
I'm part of a cosplay group called FUBARcosplay (F*cked Up Beyond All Recognition) with a couple of my friends, and we sometimes go around the MOA dressed as a certain anime. I always play the girl 'cause I can't cosplay guys.

MOA as in Mall of Asia?

Offline Nightcrawler

• Round 2!
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 02:07:43 AM »
MOA as in Mall of America. It's in Bloomington, Minnesota. Just a couple minutes south of the Twin Cities.

Offline GothicAngel

• Round 2!
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 02:23:39 AM »

MOA as in Mall of Asia?

HA I wish!

Actually, it's the Mall of America. It's in Bloomington, Minnesota. It's kinda near Minneapolis.

Offline Milliardo

• Gundam Pilot
  • Pro-bending Fan
  • On your grave...
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 04:14:23 AM »
HA I wish!

Actually, it's the Mall of America. It's in Bloomington, Minnesota. It's kinda near Minneapolis.

Aww--and I thought you live nearby. >_<

Offline GothicAngel

• Round 2!
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 04:17:34 AM »
HA I wish!

Aww--and I thought you live nearby. >_<

You live in Asia? *jealous*

Offline Milliardo

• Gundam Pilot
  • Pro-bending Fan
  • On your grave...
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 04:19:50 AM »
You live in Asia? *jealous*

Philippines to be exact. And some here wish they live there in America, so that kind of makes things even. ^_^

Offline blAIRbender

• Those are brave men knocking at our door...
  • Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 5
  • Live every week like it's Shark Week.
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 09:16:37 PM »
I finally got together my Olivia Armstrong cosplay. I still have to tweak it a bit (make her saber and sheath and finish making her military decorations and stuff), but I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

And I have plenty more photos where that came from. l:

Offline GothicAngel

• Round 2!
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 10:03:49 PM »
I finally got together my Olivia Armstrong cosplay. I still have to tweak it a bit (make her saber and sheath and finish making her military decorations and stuff), but I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

:O
Wow! That looks amazing!

Offline quidditchchick

• Knockout!
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 11:13:14 PM »

:O
Wow! That looks amazing!
Wow, you definitely have the look for Olivier! Great job so far! :D

I'll have to post my Shion cosplay when I get it together. I should be getting the wig I ordered in a few weeks.

~Set by me~

Offline Cowboy Colt

• We are free to stuggle but we are not stuggling to be free.
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 231
  • Comparison is the death of contentedness
    • www.fanfiction.net
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 12:52:32 AM »

You have such pretty eyes!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 12:56:12 AM by 1911cowboy »

keeps and quotes (click to show/hide)
 ATLA keeps: Kataang lovemaking, "MY CABBAGES " line, Aangs quiet badassness
Main theme (click to show/hide)
[
Elevation requires separation.

Be thankful for each day that you have.

Member of the league of butts-Guardian's of the Markiplier fandom.

Offline quidditchchick

• Knockout!
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 03:03:59 AM »
Lol speaking of my Shion cosplay, I actually got my wig in the mail today! It came early. :3

I'll have to worry about styling it later. xD

~Set by me~

Offline Cowboy Colt

• We are free to stuggle but we are not stuggling to be free.
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 231
  • Comparison is the death of contentedness
    • www.fanfiction.net
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 03:04:59 AM »
Lol speaking of my Shion cosplay, I actually got my wig in the mail today! It came early. :3

I'll have to worry about styling it later. xD

You look good as a blonde! HA!

keeps and quotes (click to show/hide)
 ATLA keeps: Kataang lovemaking, "MY CABBAGES " line, Aangs quiet badassness
Main theme (click to show/hide)
[
Elevation requires separation.

Be thankful for each day that you have.

Member of the league of butts-Guardian's of the Markiplier fandom.

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.