Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Reasons Why You Should Ship...  (Read 926 times)

Offline Secrets

• feathered and lethal
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 73
Reasons Why You Should Ship...
« on: December 04, 2012, 01:26:57 AM »
Basically, make a list of reasons why someone should ship a ship you ship. Feel free to be detailed and serious in order to spark discussion, or to be lighthearted and vague. It doesn't have to be Avatar ships, it can be any ship from any fandom. :D

(I stole this idea from the lovely Sifu Zev, who made a list on her profile on why you should ship Jai. So, I decided, why not turn this into an actual thing?)

I'll start it off.

Reasons Why You Should Ship Bosami

1. They're both kind, stronghearted people. Bolin is sweet and Asami is loyal. They both love fun, and Asami could definitely have fun and get along with a guy like Bolin. Bolin's sweetness would charm her, and Asami would be just as affectionate. (Eskimo kisses anyone?)

2. They're both fighters. Let's face it, that finale showed some great Bosami action. Bolin came to Asami's rescue when she was fighting her dad, practically saving her life after her father tried to end it.

3. They're both sexy. This is something you can't deny.

Offline Goki

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 13
  • The Beat Hunter
Re: Reasons Why You Should Ship...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 03:07:23 PM »
Seeing the moments of the two together, thinking that they look good together

Offline quidditchchick

• Councilwoman quidditchchick / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 146
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 11:52:28 AM »
Ooh, I like this thread! o.o

Okay, so. This was just gonna be a short little post, but it turned into a tl;dr essay thing. So, you don't have to read it, but I would really appreciate it if you did; I worked really hard on it. x3

tl;dr inside (click to show/hide)Ten Reasons Why You Should Ship StYle (Stan and Kyle from South Park):

1.   They are Super Best Friends
Friendship is always a very important aspect of a good relationship; while not every good relationship derives from a friendship, having this bond with someone very close to you makes for something very special. They’ve known each other since before pre-school and while their friendship has had its ups and downs, as many do, they still powered through the hard times and have remained super best friends.

2.   They’ve been through a lot of crazy stuff together
They say that going through certain situations together can strengthen a bond you have with someone, and growing up in a place like South Park can definitely be quite the adventure given all the crazy stuff that happens daily. While Stan and Kyle aren’t the only ones to go through these crazy things, they both normally share similar views on the situation at hand and they are usually together for almost all of it. They’ve been through countless things such as:

1.   Alien invasions
2.   Encountering the Anti-Christ and Satan all within one week
3.   Crazy celebrities (i.e. Mecha-Streisand)
4.   Alternate-Universe versions of themselves
5.   Encountered a succubus
6.   America’s war on Canada
7.   ManBearPig
8.   Night of the Living Homeless
9.   Imaginationland
10.   Becoming vigilantes

Just to name a few. If none of these create a strong bond, then nothing will.

3.   They are essentially Matt and Trey
The creators of South Park, Trey Parker and Matt Stone, are best friends and have been working together on these characters since 1992, before the show even started in 1996. While they supply most of the voices for the show including Stan and Kyle, the two boys are pretty much their self-insert characters; Trey being Stan and Matt being Kyle. Stan and Kyle’s friendship is the same kind of friendship that Matt and Trey have, which makes their friendship more real. Also, even though Matt and Trey are not in a romantic relationship, they have made out before, just throwing that out there. xD

4.   A lot of gay subtext
While Stan and Kyle’s sexualities have never been explored, there are multiple accounts of gay subtext between the two. Now, I’m not talking about crazed yaoi fangirl “evidence” where two guys looking at each other for 2 seconds makes them gay, I’m talking about legit gay subtext that Matt and Trey intentionally put in there. Some instances are as follows:

a.   Stan is forced to go to a boring party with his parents and has to play with the other kids in the kids’ room while his parents party upstairs. Stan states that he doesn’t want to play because he won’t know any of the kids there. His dad, Randy, states that it would be good for him to make new friends and that he can’t just hang out with Kyle all of the time because people will think they’re “funny”. 

b.   Stan saves Kyle and Cartman from a Blaintology cult, Kyle thanks Stan for saving him and that he was his super best friend. Cartman laughed at them and said something along the lines of “Aw, that’s so sweet, you guys. You wanna go get a room so you can make out for a while?” which causes Stan and Kyle to repeatedly kick him in the crotch.

c.   In one episode, Mr. (technically Mrs.) Garrison gives the students an assignment to be hypothetical parents and take care of an egg for the week. At first she just pairs up the students as boy-girl couples until later getting pissed by an ex and feeling the need to do an experiment to prove why gay marriage is wrong to the Governor of Colorado. So, she ends up switching two couples around and made Stan and Kyle be parents together. The entire time neither of the boys knew they were helping a cause for gay marriage rights by keeping the egg they had to take care of in perfect condition by the end of the assignment.

d.   In another episode (cleverly titled Guitar Queer-O), Stan and Kyle put together their savings to buy Guitar Hero; they play all of the time together and are really, really good at it. In the beginning they break 10,000 points on expert level and end up getting a contract with a talent agent to help them break a million points on the game (this entire episode being a parody one of those cliché band stories). Mr. Kincaid, the agent, later convinces Stan that he will never break a million with Kyle as a partner and Stan, regrettably, agrees to replace him. Kyle his heartbroken and ends up playing guitar hero by himself at a local bowling alley while Stan is “living it up”. Unfortunately, Stan lets everything go to his head and turns to “drugs” (actually just a video game about shooting up). His replacement partner quits and Stan fails to break the million on his big night. After cleaning himself up and “going for a drive” (a driving game), the song he and Kyle broke 10,000 points to came on the radio and Stan remembered the good times with Kyle and “turned the car around” to go find Kyle. He found him and Kyle was obviously still angry at him and says he doesn’t need him anymore and Stan replies “I know. I need you.” Kyle, feeling bad for Stan, agrees to play one last time with him and they break the million on expert level.

e.   One last instance (since I won’t go into all of them) is when Stan turns 10 and suddenly starts hating everything and becoming a cynical asshole. Kyle, as well as Cartman and Kenny, don’t want to hang out with him anymore because of that reason. Stan falls into a depression because of that and because of his parents going through a divorce. Kyle attempts to talk to Stan, but changes his mind due to Stan’s attitude. Stan ends up joining a group of people who have similar issues and they end up being a parody of the Matrix. Stan starts drinking so he’ll stop seeing everything as s***, and ends up going to see Kyle. Kyle is bluntly honest with Stan and tells him that things are changing and he should just accept that maybe they can’t be friends anymore. Stan then tells Kyle to eff off and that he’s a piece of s***; when Kyle sighs and walks away, Stan yells out that he loves Kyle and this causes Kyle to walk back. But then Stan just tells Kyle to eff off again, and Kyle turns right back around. Stan quietly says “I love you” again, but this time Kyle doesn’t come back. In the end Stan had accepted all of the changes and just wanted Kyle to be happy; ironically enough, Stan’s parents get back together and everything goes back to normal.

5.   They are always together
Seriously, there is rarely an episode where Stan and Kyle aren’t together. They’re mostly side-by-side in nearly every situation that life throws at them and they figure them out together.

6.   They’d do anything for each other
Best friends know that they have to take care of/be there for each other no matter what, and Stan and Kyle do exactly this.

There are many instances that show this, but one is when Stan offered to donate his kidney when Kyle was dying from Kidney failure, even if it would hurt a lot; or another time when Stan saw how depressed Kyle was for being dead last when the girls came out with a list of the best-looking boys in the class. He then tried to get the truth out of the girls, knowing that there was no way Kyle could be last.

As for Kyle, there was the time when Stan was trapped in Imaginationland and Kyle could hear his voice calling to him, so he ended up breaking into the Pentagon to save his life; and another time when he cared for Stan when he started getting sick and growing sores all over his body when they tried to save the baby cows.

One last instance is when they cried together and held each other when trying to be strong for one of their heroes, Indiana Jones; also saying they loved each other in that moment.

7.   Opposites attract and similar interests middle ground
There’s always the constant arguments between opposites attract and having similar interests. Now both alone do indeed produce good relationships, but it is my personal belief that it is a really good thing to have a middle ground and Stan and Kyle have that. Stan and Kyle are very similar indeed (I admit, the only reason I could tell them apart before I really got into the show was because of their hats xD), and they have similar interests in typical things like movies, shows, sports, politics, world views, etc; stuff that’s good for just hanging out together and having a good time. However, they are not completely the same personality-wise.

Stan is more sensitive than Kyle and is more prone to take things way too much to heart and he gets upset really easily. Kyle is a little more headstrong in that regard and while he’s not insensitive, he has his stuff together lot better than Stan does. This, I think, creates a strong dynamic because things might be a lot more difficult to work out if they were both too sensitive, and things might start to get a little too heated if they were butting heads trying to both take charge of the situation.

While both of them are smart, Kyle is known to be the smarter one of the two (and of the entire class). Stan is in no way unintelligent, but he’s a lot lazier and less motivated than Kyle, so he’s more likely to be the slacker while Kyle is the hard worker. It’s obviously never a good thing for both to be lazy, because then it’s harder to get things done; and while it’s not a bad thing for both to be hard-working, it’s just my opinion that it makes for a more interesting dynamic if one is working hard and tries to motivate the other to work hard too.

8.   They’re absolutely adorable together
I could blab on forever about how adorable they are, but I will just show you pictures instead. X3

(click to show/hide)

9.   “Dude, you’re my best friend. I don’t want you to die until I do.”
In the episode Cherokee Hair Tampons, Kyle gets really sick and is dying from kidney failure. Stan is the only one who truly seems to care about Kyle’s illness because all of the parents are “gung-ho” on natural remedies to heal him when what he really needs is a kidney transplant. Stan, like I mentioned earlier, offers to be a kidney donor, but unfortunately can’t because he doesn’t have the same blood type. It is the revealed that Cartman is the only one in South Park who has the same blood type as Kyle, but obviously Cartman refused to be a donor.

Stan didn’t give up and wasn’t going to let Kyle die, so he ended up tricking Cartman into giving his kidney to Kyle. In the end, Kyle says “Hey, thanks for going through all of that to save my life, Stan.” with which Stan replies “Dude, you’re my best friend. I don’t want you to die until I do.” This quote, while very cheesy, means an awful lot. Sure, it can come off as a little selfish, but Stan’s basically saying that he wants to be with Kyle until the very end, and when it’s time for them to go, he hopes they go together. If that ain’t true friendship, I donno what is. ;~;

10.   The Fanart

Now I could go ahead and list a bunch of fanart because there is actually a lot of good stuff out there considering the South Park fandom isn’t all that big. But all I need to post is this one gif:

~Art courtesy of Kinky-chichi on deviantArt~

This gif is pretty much the first piece of Style fanart I really looked at and it was the thing that pretty much made me start shipping them. I did know the ship existed before, but I was pretty neutral on it. Then after I saw Follow That Egg I thought “Hey, this ship is actually kind of cute. xD” So, that’s when I decided to look at some fanart and BAM, I came across this animation. It was just so freaking cute and I literally stared at it for like ten minutes. After that, I looked at even more fanart and started to ship them really hard. My feels only got even more intense as I progressed in watching more episodes on Netflix and now they’re my OTP.

So yeah, there you have it. Ten reasons why you should ship Style. X3

~Set by me~

Offline Glitch

• Caleb
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 116
  • Appreciate every mistake your friends make.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 07:52:30 AM »
ALL THE STYLE YES! I've been talking to quid for a few days about StYle... i don't even watch South Park and I ship them so hard. It's unbelievable. The fanart of them seriously is absolutely amazing. And that GIF is the best of StYle fanart that I've seen so far. It's phenomenal. I've probably spent 30 minutes watching it over the past few days. HAHAHA

Offline quidditchchick

• Councilwoman quidditchchick / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 146
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 08:13:59 AM »
Muahaha, just as planned. >:3

I hope you get to watching the show soon. :D

~Set by me~

Offline Die.Toets

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 13
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 06:46:59 PM »
The reasons why I ship and ever since childhood is because I like the interaction between the two characters even if is multi-shipping and I will stand by my ship no matter what. :3 Mostly romance or even without it. ^^

Offline bearboymcg

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 72
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 05:04:31 AM »
The reason I ship something is usually either because the ship is cute or they seem to have good chemistry:)

Beautiful Kataang set made by my Secret Santa:D

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.