Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Poll

Which show do you find yourself going back to more often (or exclusively)?

ATLA
8 (80%)
LOK
0 (0%)
Both
1 (10%)
Neither
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Rewatch value  (Read 656 times)

Offline Lionheart

• Task Force
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • Taking out the dregs of humanity since 1917.
    • My FF.net
Rewatch value
« on: August 13, 2016, 10:00:42 PM »
As much as I love both shows, I find myself going to Avatar more. I like the continuous story more, the characters, and even the more "primitive" animation more.
Set by Waterlady

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
Re: Rewatch value
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 10:06:59 PM »
Well I can't say I have rewatched all of Korra just yet, except seasons 1 and 2 since I own them, but I've seen Avatar so many times over that I picked it.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline Water Lily

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 137
  • ~Waterbender Lily~
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 02:17:17 AM »
ATLA all the way! :)

~To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.~

Offline Schmitty

• Naive Fools Club!
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 63
  • A little bit crazy, and proud of it!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 09:37:08 AM »
I've watched Korra exactly once, and that was during it's original run. And I still haven't seen the last 2 episodes of book 4.

ATLA has far more rewatch value for me. The characters, story and events are far more entertaining and engaging.
Spread the Katara angle!

ATLA Keeps: The Taunting Fish (114), Katara's Blushes, Aang's Energybending, The Kataango, Sokka and Aang's Bromance
TLOK Keeps: Aang's Beard, Katara's importance of family, Kya's sass, Bumi's facial hair, Vacation Tenzin

Offline bearboymcg

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 72
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 08:25:53 PM »
Avatar:The Last Airbender I've watched a bunch of times,but I think I've only watched Legend of Korra two or three times.

Beautiful Kataang set made by my Secret Santa:D

Offline Noodles Aang Colbert

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 136
  • Wonder what kind of cupcakes they like?
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 11:26:59 PM »
If I were to do another rewatch I would watch both in order. 
If you want my Facebook, Tumblr, or Twitter contact just ask! :D

Offline wherewulf

• Councilman wherewulf / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 130
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 01:47:38 AM »
I would watch both in order, too.  It's Avatar's history, really.

In terms of which is more easily rewatched, unfortunately, my mind is full of sighs when I think of Korra.  The animation is much better, but there's so much potential there that was, for lack of a better way to put it, discarded.  ATLA is far more coherent and has a much better story, a much better-put-together story than Korra, unfortunately.  Each season of ATLA is its own chapter of the story, each interleaves with the others, each drives the story and drives things on to the end of the story.  You can say that about seasons 3 and 4 of Korra but only about those seasons.  It's not one whole story the way ATLA is.

Offline Lionheart

• Task Force
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • Taking out the dregs of humanity since 1917.
    • My FF.net
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 03:03:56 AM »
Finished my Avatar rewatch and I stand by what I say. I was invested in the story, I cared about the characters from the major players like the Gaang members, Iroh, and Azula to the minor ones like Lee and his family, General Hao, and even the Cabbage Guy. That was missing from LOK. I could not get invested in any of the characters in the first season except Korra and maybe Asami after the whole Hiroshi thing. Mako and Bolin were little more than archetypes. The bad guys, Amon and Tarrlok were much more interesting. Hell, when they were focusing on that pro-bending thing and that cringeworthy love triangle, all I was thinking was, "Dude, go back to Amon, I don't care about this." Iroh II seemed to only be there for the sole purpose of getting the fans to say, "Oh, Dante Basco's back." Also, like Remus said, it was not an ongoing story, and thus it made it harder to get invested in.

The second season I hated. I'll be frank here, the second season felt like a big "screw you" to the fans. The plot and the concept were great ideas, I loved the spirit thing, and that Miyazaki-esque memory of Wan was just genius. In fact, that one thing felt like Bryke really cared. However, all that comes to nothing because the characters were all unlikeable, especially Korra. I swear, I wanted to punch her each time she appeared on screen in this season. Unalaq (or Tarrlok 2.0) was the most stock villain anybody could have thought up. Desna and Eska were just creepy and not in a "Wow, these are well-written characters" way. Lastly, that love triangle, that goddamn love triangle... I hate love triangles.

The third season was a great comeback. I can compare it to Half-Blood Prince after the disappointment of Order of the Phoenix (mostly due to Harry, like season 2 Korra, deserving a good uppercut). Even better, this season had me rooting for the bad guys. I'm not an anarchist, but I do have something of a vendetta against the elites of our government and I see similar problems in many other corners of the "free world". Like I said in political discussions, at least Kim Jong-un doesn't try to deny the fact that he's a totalitarian dictator.  Anyway, politics aside, I has siding with the villains (until the whole "Kill Tenzin's family" thing). It was also nice to see the extended Beifong family, Korra becoming likeable again, Bolin moving on from being comic relief... everything seemed to fall into place.

The last season, I liked that it followed up on the previous. I loved the action, I loved the character development, but you know, it did not feel like a series finale. I am going to watch the entirety of LOK, but I don't see myself coming back to it in the near future afterwards.
Set by Waterlady

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.