Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Fall Out Boar: How a Nuclear Disaster Created an Animal Sanctuary  (Read 871 times)

Offline wherewulf

• Councilman wherewulf / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 130
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/editorials/ct-fukushima-fallout-boar-chernoybl-edit-0416-jm-20160414-story.html

From the Chicago Tribune.  The story tells of how the Chernobyl and Fukushima nuclear accidents have resulted in wildlife returning.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
Re: Fall Out Boar: How a Nuclear Disaster Created an Animal Sanctuary
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 11:16:20 PM »
Is that a good thing for Chernobyl? Cuz there's a reason that place is deserted, I mean humans can't even go into the city there themselves without needing gas masks and to be covered from head to toe. Can wildlife be safe there?

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline wherewulf

• Knockout!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 06:40:04 PM »
Well, the article doesn't say that Chernobyl affected or shortened the lifespans of the wildlife that has come into the area, and that's fairly significant, so I would think the article's writer would have noted that.  Regarding Fukushima, they do say, "There's no evidence that the radioactive contamination so dangerous to humans harms the boars, the newspaper reports. But the meat is unfit for human consumption because the boars have consumed contaminated plants and small animals".

I guess it depends on how you define "good for Chernobyl".  The fact that wildlife is coming back to the area sounds good to me--including the fact that "a 2015 study published in Current Biology found robust animal populations in the Chernobyl no-human zone, including more than seven times the abundance of wolves compared with four uncontaminated nature reserves in the region".  Wildlife also isn't as likely to be preyed on by humans thanks to radiation.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 06:55:36 PM »
I just mean I'm surprised there's wildlife that can even thrive in Chernobyl, I thought the radiation would be problems for animals as well.

Offline wherewulf

• Knockout!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 06:16:45 PM »
(shrugs)  They're reproducing like crazy.  Guess not.  :D  Although I'd imagine there's a good amount of natural selection going on, too--namely if you can't sense that the big dumb hairless monkeys really screwed up over there and you get curious, well... bye bye next generation for that one.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 11:01:20 PM »
(shrugs)  They're reproducing like crazy.  Guess not.  :D  Although I'd imagine there's a good amount of natural selection going on, too--namely if you can't sense that the big dumb hairless monkeys really screwed up over there and you get curious, well... bye bye next generation for that one.

But it just ain't right, they should be morphing into weird creatures with the radiation, can't I at least have that?

Offline wherewulf

• Knockout!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 05:51:16 PM »
Okay, how to put this...

I think the odds of finding any teenage mutant ninja wildlife are, well, low.  :D   Although heaven knows, give it a few years.  I bet people are going to keep their eyes on wildlife around Chernobyl, and as the years go by, things may surface.  I think wildlife studies have only begun regarding Chernobyl and Fukushima.

And no, I don't think they'll find any kaiju at Fukushima, either.  :P

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 12:13:16 AM »
We need something awesome from fiction to come true, I was hoping it would be mutated animals, but I guess I'll have to wait. I really do want a teenage mutant ninja turtle.

I can still hope for space ships and giant robots right?

Offline wherewulf

• Knockout!
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 06:45:20 PM »
(gestures)  Be my guest.  :D

Tell you one thing, though, as far as "good for Chernobyl" is concerned: to me, it is absolutely magnificent that nature can take a human-made screwup like a nuclear meltdown and slowly repair things.

(And I freely admit, I bet Chernobyl was probably far more man-made than human-made.  XD)

EDIT: the BBC has picked up on the story, too, and there's a difference of opinion on whether or not the area around Chernobyl is recovering.  It sounds like the majority says it is, but a few dissenters say otherwise.  Take a look.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160421-the-chernobyl-exclusion-zone-is-arguably-a-nature-reserve

AND, Roy, you'll be happy to read that they do talk a little bit about mutation in here.  :P

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 07:00:18 PM »
YES!! Mutation!!!

I do wonder if the animals will be able to stick around Chernobyl and start long generations of families or if it'll get to them eventually. This is very interesting research though, I have been interested in writing a post apocalyptic story about nature taking over after various different disasters took out a good portion of civilization over and over.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:03:41 PM by Fenix »

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.