Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: LEGEND OF KORRA GRAPHIC NOVELS CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!: D  (Read 3886 times)

Offline Free_Spirit

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 71
  • Freespirit81 on deviantART. ;)
    • Free_Spirit's Art
LEGEND OF KORRA GRAPHIC NOVELS CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!: D
« on: July 10, 2015, 06:09:37 PM »
Just revealed at the SDCC Avatar & Korra panel: 3 Korra comics confirmed, and they will deal with after the end of Book 4, including Korrasami! Mike will write them, Bryan will be art & story consultant! They are still looking for an artist though ( I hope they hire Guruhiru again, or do the art themselves!). :D

Discuss! :D

"We're all connected. Everything is connected."
(Avatar Aang)

Offline Tiger

• Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 110
  • I'm the Wan and the only
    • My DA
Re: LEGEND OF KORRA GRAPHIC NOVELS CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!: D
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 06:33:06 PM »
HEre's Bryan's post

http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/123740964897/the-legend-of-korra-will-continue-as-comics

and HERE'S THE PROMOTIONAL GIF (click to show/hide)

* Tiger is hyperventilating

older sigs (click to show/hide)

Offline TheLocalAmazon

• Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 6
  • part time procrastinator and full time friend
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 09:18:08 PM »
*utter happiness*
I'm on one of those spiritual journeys, I think.

I cannot possess your soul without losing my own.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 09:46:50 PM »
Somehow I wonder what more they could do for Korra's story. I dunno, I'm just not overly interested.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline TheLocalAmazon

• Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 6
  • part time procrastinator and full time friend
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 04:54:05 AM »
Somehow I wonder what more they could do for Korra's story. I dunno, I'm just not overly interested.

I'll mostly be reading them for the Korrasami! ^_^
I'm on one of those spiritual journeys, I think.

I cannot possess your soul without losing my own.

Offline Tiger

• Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 110
  • I'm the Wan and the only
    • My DA
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 05:51:53 AM »

I'll totally be reading them for the Korrasami, honestly.

older sigs (click to show/hide)

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 07:06:44 PM »

I'll totally be reading them for the Korrasami, honestly.

I don't care for Korrasami nor how it was handled, so that's why I'm not interested.

Offline Free_Spirit

• Round 2!
    • Free_Spirit's Art
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 08:47:48 PM »
Fenix , what's the "problem" with Korrasami?! There's nothing wrong with two girls dating! :(
(Avatar Aang)

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 10:03:54 PM »
That has nothing to do with it at all. I'm not much of a slash shipper but I have shipped two dudes together and two girls together, so no I have no problem with it as long as it's done well. Like I said, I thought their relationship was handled badly. I thought after all that romance junk that happened in seasons 1 and 2, making Korra and Asami become friends was a good idea, they did good on the development of their friendship. It was nice to see them exchanging letters with each other and I can see why she would rather relay her problems to Asami who's much more empathetic then Bolin and Mako. I thought they had some nice interactions in the 4th season. But then the end of the series finale comes and all the sudden they're in love. I felt like I was missing something. I don't recall much at all about their moments together that led me to believe they were more than friends. None of it felt like anything more than a simple but deep friendship between women. Anyone can interpret it differently and shippers certainly will interpret however they want, but I just had a hard time buying it myself. I saw no tension, no hint of feelings or romance, no development. If it was Bryke's intention to portray that there was something going on between Korra and Asami, then I personally think they did a lousy job at it. It's not surprising, I love Bryke but they're not really known for great romances besides Kataang.

Look I commend them for trying to be progressive and taking chances, but I'm not going to ship something that I don't believe was developed properly. It could've been a lot worse, Makorra being the prime and unrivaled example, so I'll accept it and tolerate Korrasami, but honestly I'm really burnt out on Korra ships. The fandom really soured me on that. I was losing any interest in any ship involving Korra ships far before season 4 aired so I doubt I would've warmed up to anything Bryke was cooking up in romance for her.

Sorry for the rant, but I've been holding in my opinions on that subject since the series ended and I guess I just finally boiled over. I'm not looking for a debate, I don't want one, but I'm a romance writer so I can be picky about what goes into a romance.

Offline Free_Spirit

• Round 2!
    • Free_Spirit's Art
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2015, 10:18:46 PM »
Okay, sorry about the assumption, but maybe you should try reading this:

http://lokgifsandmusings.tumblr.com/post/108130406008/korrasami-is-great-writing

If it changes your mind, makes you think, then great! If not.........?????
(Avatar Aang)

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 01:58:21 AM »
I read it and I ended up writing a lot on the subject cuz I do that so I put it in a block. It's probably way off topic now, but I had fun in that post.

(click to show/hide)Okay well, let me just say that I take back all or at least most of what I said. I will point out that it was more from what Bryan said that I finally took the chance to read than LOKgifsandmusings per say. I'll admit I was one of those people that thought they put Korrasami together just because it was popular or to be progressive. To be fair this happens a lot in TV, I know an example of one such thing and it really isn't the first time they've done that. (I mean I love the Kataang finale kiss, but it was totally pandering if you think about it) It did seem convenient considering how Korrasami was getting more and more popular. But I guess we can sum that up to a coincidence.

But reading what they wrote I admit I was very wrong and I think it's really neat how it ended up progressing naturally instead of the typical forced romances you tend to see in media. I like how they took Miyazaki's quote into account when creating a romance for Korra. It's what I strive to do in my own writing when it comes to romance. I not only try to make it seem well developed, but so that the couple fits well and inspire eachother and all that awesome and cheesy junk. XD And I guess my problem was legitimate because they said they developed it in a way they could as a kids network show. So they had to have held back on something.

That brings me to the LoK G&M person. They had really great points, it was written well and greatly analyzed in pretty unbiased way. Plus they're reason for liking Korrasami wasn't shallow!! (maybe it's because of anime, but I come across incredibly shallow reasons for slash ships all the time. Might be anime shippers in general) I could argue a bit whether it's considered great writing though. Hear me out. Great writing is subjective to everyone. What will work for some people might not work well for others. What I mean is, should you go the realistic way or the fictional way? It's interesting to note that the way they portrayed Korrasami reflected how same-sex relationships typically go at least in the LOK G&Ms experience. I think that's cool for her, but was it completely intentional on Bryke's part or kinda an accident.

What I mean is did they portray it exactly the way they wanted to? I mentioned that they had limits because of Nickelodeon so were there ideas they would have liked to figure into Korrasami that they couldn't. Did they want it to be as subtle as it was? Hypothetically if they were on a channel that allowed more freedom, would there be more obvious hints? Did Bryke feel completely satisfied about how the ship turned out? Subtlety and all?

Subtlety in shipping can be a two edged sword. In some cases, it's probably great to add in a few ship teases here and there to mess with fans and if you're writing something more geared for kids. On the other hand though if you're subtle, fans may not be able to detect it. It might not be well received as noted with some fans reactions to Korrasami. Subtlety isn't a strong point of humanity I've noticed, they either think too deeply or not enough. I don't particularly favor subtlety in romance stories myself, it kinda drives me nuts. I prefer things to be obvious and out there because then I know I've won as long as I like the ship of course. I also prefer things to be clearer so that it could inspire my own writing. Plus many had on their as Bryke put it "Hetero Lens". I know I did and because of that I didn't get it at all until now. So that's where I argue whether it was good writing because it reflected real life or too subtle for some to see the steps Bryke were taking. I don't blame Bryke for that of course, they did the best they could with the limits they had. But could they have done better and gotten more people on board I wonder? I may have been more open to it even. It ended up being a little too subtle for my taste obviously.

Anyways that's just some random thoughts. I say that I don't agree with everything L0K G&M mentioned because of the above and she kinda lost me once she went off about thinking Asami had feelings for Korra from the beginning and there was some clear flirting at least earlier on. Bryke said they didn't actually decide to go through with Korrasami until season 3 and they were focused on a friendship rather than a romance but it went from there. See that's when I start thinking, "You're thinking too deeply into this, Zutara might be proud." But I'm merely joking, all ships have those. I was part of a ship that's probably infamous for thinking too much into things. Yes, Seddie fans make Zutara evidence seem sane in comparison.

Well I sure rambled. Sorry about that again. But once I read those I guess something clicked and my brain went wild. Now I can't say I'm totally on board with Korrasami. As I said I have preferences and slash shipping isn't really my thing. And the fandom really did burn me out on shipping in general. But I have way more respect for Korrasami and Bryke, definitely looking forward to the comic now. Plus I wanna see if Mako's gonna get a love interest. XD

Offline Free_Spirit

• Round 2!
    • Free_Spirit's Art
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 02:15:54 AM »
Great!! Glad that I made you think, even if you don't fully agree with them. I know that it made me think a little more. :D

I have to admit that I couldn't really notice the Korrasami until the Book 3 finale, but once I did, I shipped it at least as much as I used to ship Makorra, maybe more! :)

(Avatar Aang)

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 02:47:56 AM »
I still maintain that less subtlety in fictional romances is the way to go if that's possible of course. You usually get a lot more positive feedback from fans. That may seem like pandering, to be less subtle for the fans, but if you feel like what you're writing is good and you like it then I don't see the problem.

I merely was being speculative with Bryke. I dunno if they would've had more obvious Korrasami hints if they could or kept it subtle. They really aren't the best romance writers if season 1's weird love drama was anything to go by. Heck that's probably why they decided to break Makorra up. They may not have handled Korrasami well even with more freedom.

I think Korra not ending up with anyone might have been a better tactic. We wouldn't have this weird Korrasami/Makorra war going on. Anyone could interpret who they wanted Korra to end up with. But if Bryke felt they needed and wanted to end with Korrasami then it's probably for the best. I also believe in not chickening out on an end ship you want to do just so you could please the fans and escape their possible wrath.

That being said, I prefer subtle Korrasami over what you get in most media. Sometimes I feel romance is too physical and not emotional or developed enough.

Offline fire goes on

• Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 0
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 08:41:49 PM »
Any update on when these graphic novels are coming out?

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 12:06:33 AM »
Haven't heard a dang thing. Kinda a shame. But I guess Bryke are both prioritizing their own separate projects right now.

Offline fire goes on

• Pro-bending Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2016, 12:30:45 AM »
Haven't heard a dang thing. Kinda a shame. But I guess Bryke are both prioritizing their own separate projects right now.
Hopefully we'll hear something soon and at least we find out when the release date will be.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2016, 12:35:53 AM »
-shrugs- Eh well it's not really all that anticipating for me so I can wait for it patiently. Assuming I'll even get around to reading it once it comes out. I still haven't read the ones from ATLA.

Offline fire goes on

• Pro-bending Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2016, 12:45:24 AM »
-shrugs- Eh well it's not really all that anticipating for me so I can wait for it patiently. Assuming I'll even get around to reading it once it comes out. I still haven't read the ones from ATLA.
Well I know a few people looking forward to the release date whenever that may be, though they are disappointed there won't be a LOK season 5 on another network like Netflix.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2016, 01:08:21 AM »
Why are they disappointed in something that was never meant to have a 5th season? Bryke gave confirmation that there were going to be only 4 seasons back when season 2 was airing. It'd be the fans fault for their own wishful thinking.

And hypothetically even if there was a 5th season then it's unlikely it would've ended up on Netflix, they'd need to buy the shows contract which means they'd need to be interested in it, (doubtful since the other seasons aren't on Netflix) Nick would have to be interested in selling/sharing certain right, and buying a contract can't be easy and is probably super expensive.

Offline fire goes on

• Pro-bending Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2016, 01:21:12 AM »
Why are they disappointed in something that was never meant to have a 5th season? Bryke gave confirmation that there were going to be only 4 seasons back when season 2 was airing. It'd be the fans fault for their own wishful thinking.

And hypothetically even if there was a 5th season then it's unlikely it would've ended up on Netflix, they'd need to buy the shows contract which means they'd need to be interested in it, (doubtful since the other seasons aren't on Netflix) Nick would have to be interested in selling/sharing certain right, and buying a contract can't be easy and is probably super expensive.

Apparently a lot of fans of the show see potential for at least one more season of LOK, there was a petition a while back for Netflix to pick up the show and it got nearly 50 thousand signatures.

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.