Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: What made Avatar really that good?  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Die.Toets

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 13
What made Avatar really that good?
« on: March 06, 2015, 03:47:21 PM »
Well, to me, at first it didn't catch my interest until this one episode later on few years later and it never effected my life how it did for most of you guys. I mean it had a good story with good detailed length personality traits of the characters. I liked Kataang, yes, which is why I joined KF and here and for that only reason and of course for friends too, call me a fool for those only reasons but I only like mostly romance and if it didn't had romance or some then I wouldn't watch it. The none-Asian quirky humor caught me off guard because it didn't had an anime feel to it yet it's not really mostly based on Japanese culture but more of all cultures but with an Asian feel to it, which I feel they should've stuck to the Asian part instead, but it's still good even if it's different and diverse.

Offline wherewulf

• Councilman wherewulf / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 130
Re: What made Avatar really that good?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 07:40:54 PM »
Oh, gosh, there are so many reasons for me.

ATLA was a complete story--it followed through from beginning to end--but its creators had no trouble leaving tantalizing loose ends behind, like the fate of Zuko's mom, so you wondered where else the story might lead.  Even though its "intended" demographic was young, it didn't pull punches and it did not insult the intelligence of its viewers.

I got involved with the characters.  I got interested in them from the first, and they developed and grew.  They learned.  They failed.  They became more than they were.  And the stories of love amongst the characters were natural; they grew organically, from the natures of the characters themselves, where they came from, the situations they were in, what they wanted to do--it was natural, not forced.  It was beautiful.

The show wasn't perfect, but in so many ways Mike and Bryan could have cheaped out and not done the hard work involved to develop the show, sold out and made the show less than it was, but they didn't.  They created something enduring and beautiful.  We wouldn't be here talking about it ten years later if they hadn't.  :D

Offline Noodles Aang Colbert

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 136
  • Wonder what kind of cupcakes they like?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 09:42:14 PM »
What makes for a story is character depth and plot.  Of course other things are vital too.
No matter what type of person fans are they can identify with one character.  They struggle just like we all do and they experience new things just like we do.  I could list many things about the series and the life lessons add all.  I think it was just a perfect blend of many things. 
If you want my Facebook, Tumblr, or Twitter contact just ask! :D

Offline Die.Toets

• Round 1!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 01:43:52 AM »
Oh, gosh, there are so many reasons for me.

ATLA was a complete story--it followed through from beginning to end--but its creators had no trouble leaving tantalizing loose ends behind, like the fate of Zuko's mom, so you wondered where else the story might lead.  Even though its "intended" demographic was young, it didn't pull punches and it did not insult the intelligence of its viewers.

I got involved with the characters.  I got interested in them from the first, and they developed and grew.  They learned.  They failed.  They became more than they were.  And the stories of love amongst the characters were natural; they grew organically, from the natures of the characters themselves, where they came from, the situations they were in, what they wanted to do--it was natural, not forced.  It was beautiful.

The show wasn't perfect, but in so many ways Mike and Bryan could have cheaped out and not done the hard work involved to develop the show, sold out and made the show less than it was, but they didn't.  They created something enduring and beautiful.  We wouldn't be here talking about it ten years later if they hadn't.  :D

I wish I could see that. :/

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 153
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 06:36:59 AM »
I think it's all about preference and genre. One could say Avatar was incredibly derivative, but it was derivative in a sense that it was inspired by various cultures and created its own universe based on all of these separate influences in order to create a genuinely fleshed out world, as opposed to an entirely homogenous one. It channeled different cultural influences into the show whilst remaining its own separate entity.

The reasons Avatar is so good is something you actually bring up here, which is that it has something for everyone. Everyone can find at least one thing that interests them in Avatar. Romance, wacky humor, interesting character arcs, great fight choreography, interesting mythology, cool looking creatures, a single plot that is paid off at the end. There's always something for people of all personal preferences to latch onto, and it's not because the series is trying to pander to anybody, it's because for all its faults it still respects its audience enough to have that level of depth and expect the audience to get it. Avatar goes further than skin-deep, and the kind of resonance that Avatar was capable of was something I didn't know was possible in television or film before. A series has never gotten me so invested so easily, made me like and grow attached to its characters so quickly, or made me ship two characters this damn hard, I am still on the successor to a forum about Aang and Katara getting together six years later, that's how well the romance was handled on this show.

You can tell a lot of love and effort was put into making it, and for every episode that felt like it was sort of aimless, it almost always served a purpose and that's something most shows in those days didn't respect us enough to do.

In essence, Avatar: The Last Airbender was the first time the media I was consuming didn't condescend to or patronize me. It trusted me to be able to handle some of the darker subject matter, it made me a more emotionally aware and available person (which was huge for somebody who was emotionally closed off as I was), and it lit a spark in my heart that probably got me through the worst years of my life.

The only reason I didn't jump out of the car on the freeway was because I wanted to see how Avatar ended, I wanted to see if Aang and Katara got together, I wanted to see how Aang would defeat the Fire Lord, I wanted to see if Zuko would become a better person and join the gAang, and by the time it ended I had already gotten enough therapy and made enough friends on KF not to need it to prop me up and keep me going. But taking into account what KF was, and all of the friends I made as a result, it's still there for me all these years later, positively affecting my life.

Don't get me wrong, I can point out flaws like nobody's business. But a show like Avatar doesn't come around in America all that often, certainly not when it first aired. Avatar proved to the animation world and networks alike, in much the same way Batman the Animated Series did in the 90s, that complex storylines and characters were something a younger audience was capable of handling, and it paved the way for some great animated shows that have proceeded it.

I think that's the whole thing. I respect Avatar. I'm not blind to its faults or its problems or the odd and awkward moments, or the episodes that didn't really need to be there whose information could've been placed somewhere more relavent to the plot. Hell, there were jokes in Avatar I didn't laugh at as a kid, which I might not even laugh at now that I've lightened up, but that didn't matter because it wasn't the point; like I said, there was still plenty left for me to get invested in. I'm aware that in spite of all of all of its flaws, it's still a solid series that told its story well and in an intelligent manner that has helped shape the industry to this day and has emotionally resonated with hundreds of thousands of people. It's an outstanding achievement. Even though Nickelodeon seemed to conspire against it, giving it as little advertisement or awareness as possible, it held its own and became one of their most successful animated shows of all time. It's the little American cartoon that could, and boy did it. The fact that people who don't even like animation can still appreciate Avatar tells you everything you need to know about it.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Die.Toets

• Round 1!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 03:03:33 PM »
I'm sorry for this topic and my ignorance. I just am ignorant on some things and other reasons too. So I'm sorry again. :c

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 153
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 03:15:23 PM »
It's no personal fault of your own, everyone has different preferences and tastes. In fact, this thread really helped me piece together what I really appreciated about the series.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline wherewulf

• Councilman wherewulf / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 130
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 06:34:03 PM »
It made for good conversation, if you ask me.  No need to be sorry about that at all.

Offline Illusive Pants

• Round 1!
    • My Blog/Art Dump
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 08:35:15 AM »
I overlooked the show for a very long time. I'm a very enthusiastic fan of both culture and animation, so you would have thought I'd have picked up on the fact that ATLA's story revolved around various elements of culture, and the animation was wonderfully done. But truth be told, I never saw any adverts for the show and it was barely a blip on my radar for so long.

I'm unsure how it managed to stay beyond the fringes of my awareness for so long, given I'd heard of it being "really good". It wasn't until Korra spun up that I started to see it move closer towards my radar, and even then it wasn't until Korra was just wrapping up that a friend of ours invited us round to start watching the two shows in order over their place, and my wife and I figured we'd give it a shot. Until then I'd always pegged it as a show for younger kids. Obviously, I was grotesquely mistaken, and I realized this as soon as Katara accused Sokka of being sexist within the first few minutes of the show.

Avatar is, at its crux, a mature story that is accessible to just about anyone. It's masterfully told, with a vibrant and strong cast, each with deep back stories, motivations and unique personalities. They play off each other well, they grow with each passing episode and are genuine enough that you really care about these people.

The world they inhabit is so thoroughly fleshed out that you could pick a region on the known map and easily have something to talk about. It's consistent, too. The show has a heavy lore that constantly references pieces of itself in a very precise manner. Nothing really feels tacked on. The various cultures are thoroughly researched, planned and implemented. It makes me extremely happy to watch a show with such a varied, ethnically-rich cast.

The show is backed by a fantastic score, and the animation---while understandably not on the same level as Korra---is really well done. The animation and coloring only improves as the show goes on.

And it has such a great sense of humor. One of the biggest draws to me is that, no matter how deep the show gets, there is almost never a time when some humor or silliness can't be found. It prevents the show from being a drag, and it's required with such a heavy plot. The show addresses sexism, racism, and various other themes that most shows won't even touch, but it always finds a way to apply a lighthearted touch now and then.

Overall, it's just an incredible experience, with an intelligence and sincerity to it you just rarely get in mainstream television. Absolutely wonderful.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 08:44:48 AM by Illusive Pants »

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.