Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Boring villain  (Read 563 times)

Offline Waterbender16

• Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 5
Boring villain
« on: March 02, 2015, 03:57:48 PM »
Everyone remembers the villain conference call scene, narrated by Varrick, in "Remembrances".
Varrick called Unalaq "the diabolical but incredibly boring and unpopular sorcerer from the North", and I am here to prove him right!
Let's take a look at the other villains of the "Fearsome Foursome":
Zaheer: as Varrick called him, "a flying chaotic chaos machine", master airbender with powerful skills.
Vaatu: "the ultimate force of pure spirit evil in the universe, the biggest, meanest, scariest kite that ever flew". How meaner can it be?!
Amon: leader of the Equalists. That guy could get anyone's bending! And bloodbend!!! If that's not evil enough, I don't know what is!!

And now comes Unalaq, who is a simple waterbender with high hopes of ruling the world. I agree that he has deep connection and useful knowledge of spirits and he's a skillful bender, but he only became dangerous when he fused with Vaatu.
However, his character was quite interesting.

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 153
Re: Boring villain
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 05:46:42 PM »
However, his character was quite interesting.
If only it was.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline wherewulf

• Councilman wherewulf / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 130
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 07:09:09 PM »
Unalaq was... (shakes head)  His eventual turning could have been on the Weather Channel, it was so forecastable, and his character felt more "ew" than anything else.  His children were far more interesting, and they said maybe a fifth as much.

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 153
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 07:20:46 PM »
It feels like they went for Scar with Mufasa in the Lion King instead of Ramses with Moses in Prince of Egypt. Only they were trying to convince us he was a good guy. It was overdone. They could've gone an interesting sibling dynamic route with him and Tonraq, but they kind of just turned them into stock characters as opposed to real people so their scenes felt mostly empty. I felt zero tension between them as two brothers in their confrontation. Not one bit. It felt so uninspired, it was astounding to me.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.