Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Tell me I wasn't alone here (latecomer's reaction to the shipwars)  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Lionheart

• Task Force
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • Taking out the dregs of humanity since 1917.
    • My FF.net
The first episode of Avatar I watched was Sozin's Comet on its airdate in 2008. I thought I was going to hate Avatar as I am not an anime fan (yes, Like many I thought it was an anime at first) but of course, I got drawn into it and it's my favorite show of all time and the rest is history. Well, like all new things I get into I look for fanfiction and fanart and I find out about the Kataang/Zutara ship war and the less heated Sukka/Tokka one. It immediately got me saying, "Really, there was a ship war for this?" while bad memories of the Harry Potter ship wars ran through my head.  I did get suckered into it after seeing some rather silly Zutara posts and even more when I joined KF about a month later.  In retrospect, I and others acted stupid during the ship wars (though it was funny looking for "Zutara moments" like a sunset over the ocean, the heart bending, any time red and blue or fire and water would appear on screen together, etc). But yeah, tell me I wasn't the only latecomer who was shocked to find out about the ship wars.
Set by Waterlady

Offline ignite444

• Azula's Rage
  • Lightningbender
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 15
  • Ultimate Firebender
Re: Tell me I wasn't alone here (latecomer's reaction to the shipwars)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 03:57:04 AM »
I guess you could technically call me a latecomer as I didn't get into the show until the beginning of season 2 (right when it first aired), but nah, I wasn't shocked by the shipping wars. I was a veteran in the whole shipping department *Snorts at self* so I wasn't surprised. Of course I immediately got suckered in like I always did when I was a teen and younger and became a huge Kataang shipper with a loathing for Zutara and all that it embodied.

Of course I grew out of it when the show ended and I haven't been as huge a shipper as I used to be, so that explains why I could of cared less about the Korra shippings (well, until the series finale anyway).

I still support and adore Kataang, but not like I used to.

Offline ThePaintedLady

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 14
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 08:05:50 AM »
I started watching atla in 2009 when I was 14. I had very little experience with "fandoms", "ship wars" and so on. I found out about Zutara AFTER joining KF. I saw the appeal but tbh, didn't particularly see where it came from. Nor, did I get why you ship something that wasn't canon at the time.

To be completely honest. I never spent much time dwelling on ship wars. My opinion was my own (and canon ;) haha) and I could never bother getting into debates or anything so i'm not surprised I never noticed nor cared.

Offline Lionheart

• Task Force
  • Round 2!
    • My FF.net
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 12:49:35 PM »
Never saw the appeal in Zutara but that's because I hate project pairings. But yeah, the lengths each side would go to prove their ship for years after the show ended. I'm sure Bryke found it amusing though.
Set by Waterlady

Offline Water Lily

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 137
  • ~Waterbender Lily~
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 12:26:43 AM »
The concept of shipping came very late to me, and it was one of those discoveries that made me grow from a kid to a teen psychologically speaking.

I used to have Nickelodeon channels at home when I was little. I watched the first episode of ATLA the day it aired. Afterwards I got a break from Nick and lost touch with Avatar. By the time I started watching it again a few years later, the first thing that popped on the screen was an ATLA episode- The Guru. I was shocked and pleasantly surprised to see the show again. Because I learned a lot more about my own values and culture, I was highly impressed by the Hindu/Buddhist ideals which were interwoven throughout the episode. When our family got to afford the Internet, I was introduced to fanfiction. I ran across a bunch of Zutara fan videos and fanart, and I had the feeling that it wasn't right at all (no offense, Zutarians). Thus, I discovered the concept of shipping. Instantly I was drawn towards the possibility of the cute bald guy and the beautiful water tribe girl. It wasn't long until I realized that the couple was going to be canon, and ever since I was the happiest Kataanger alive.

~To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.~

Offline bearboymcg

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 72
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 01:21:26 AM »
I wasn't really into the internet until after Avatar:The Last Airbender,so I was unaware of any ship wars or even the concept of what a ship war was.Not to metion I never saw Zutara at all during the series and did not even knew the ship existed until one of my brothers told me.So I was shocked to hear about the ship war between Kataang and Zutara.

Beautiful Kataang set made by my Secret Santa:D

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 153
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 04:40:47 AM »
It wasn't a pretty time.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline terrik_zion

• TKC Contributor
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 35
  • Seluna's Lieutenant
    • Terrik's DA
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 06:36:26 PM »
I was a late-comer to the Avatar universe in general, but I can't say I was ever involved in any shipping wars. The closest I ever got to that was after my wife had me watch ATLA for the first time on DVD, and the scene where Zuko taunts Katara with her mother's necklace, I thought Bryke were intentionally going to do the whole "good-girl-falls-for-bad-guy" routine to create drama. My wife, (who had seen the whole series, of course) quickly dispelled that notion. She was mortified at the thought that I might be a Zutara shipper, LOL. Of course, I didn't even know what "shipping" was, unless you counted what Amazon did with my packages. Hard to believe its been so long since I first laid eyes on ATLA...

Offline Michifer

• Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 1
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 01:49:24 PM »
I was a latecomer too and I didn't care much about the ships, mostly because I rarely care about het ships. I thought Sokka and Suki were cute and that was about it. I was like "there were ship wars?" when I looked the show up on TvTropes.

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 02:46:29 PM »
I was super late in joining the fandom, so I missed most of the ship wars, thankfully. But, I wasn't all that surprised because I'd seen milder ship wars in other fandoms. The intensity (for lack of a better word) of the ship wars, however, did surprise me.

Set from tumblr. ę Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

Offline Lionheart

• Task Force
  • Round 2!
    • My FF.net
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 03:40:29 PM »
Well, most of us sat on the sidelines during the Korra shipwars and laughed.
Set by Waterlady

Offline wherewulf

• Councilman wherewulf / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 130
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 07:23:39 PM »
Korra's shipwars were more like a naval review to me; I really didn't care that much.  "Look, there's a ship going by."  "Okay, there's another one."  "And there goes another one."  (shrug)

Offline Crystle

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 46
    • DA
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 08:32:08 PM »
Oh, I can't even get into the ATLA ship wars. If I were to say I wasn't a major part in it for enough time to make even a small impact, I would be lying to myself. To act like I didn't at least partially run a fan forum dedicated to a singular ship during the shows' run? Please. I won't kid myself.
I've moved on from shipping things aggressively, though, which was a strange but welcome side effect of running said site.

While I'm not a big fan of Korra, I see Korra things on my Tumblr dashboard all the time. Sitting on the sidelines is interesting.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 09:49:11 PM »
It's different isn't it? Sitting on the sidelines instead of being in the midst of that chaos. I would say I prefer it but I like a fandom that doesn't have a ship war first off.

I was there right at the beginning with that stupid Nick.com message board. I saw the birth of Zutara, the birth of Kataang. I was very much in the war, taking the Kataang side even if I may have not participated in too many of the fights. Eventually I got sick of the fighting and Zutara in general and joined KF. Now however I'm a multi-shipper who actually kinda ships both.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline ThePaintedLady

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 14
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 05:04:10 AM »
As cruel as it sounds, I'd have to loved to watch the birth of the ship wars. I'd probably have enjoyed everyone being so rediculous.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 05:41:07 AM »
I won't lie, it was kinda amusing.

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 03:01:57 PM »
I've heard it was! Kind of wish I had been around to see the start too, but I'm mostly glad I wasn't. XD

Set from tumblr. ę Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 01:51:44 AM »
It wasn't always so bad, but you know how immature teens/kids that love to ship are.

Offline Lionheart

• Task Force
  • Round 2!
    • My FF.net
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 01:59:25 AM »
But when adults do it, then that's crossing lines.
Set by Waterlady

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 02:01:51 AM »
Yeah, it's just sad and pathetic. But I'd take it over people fighting about politics and/or sports any day.

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.