Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: The Most Random Rant Ever - Why "The Boiling Rock" Grinds My Gears  (Read 789 times)

Offline Harley Quinn

• hi puddin'
  • Lightningbender
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 56
  • Formerly JHZ
    • my own site yo
Hello Harley here. Though, those of you who were on KF know me as "JHZ", which is short for "JetHeartsZuko". So KF people may or may not know where I'm going with this.

To this day I still think about "The Boiling Rock" and I still get irrationally mad over it. Like. Actually mad. Like. "WHY, Bryke?" Seriously. My blood boils a little.

"But why does it make you so mad Ms. Harley?" some of you may wonder

Well I got two very important answers that relate to each other

The first being Sokka's father was really unnecessary.  Of course Sokka would angst about his dad being locked up, etc. But the thing is, it'd be one thing if they got him out and something actually happened. But... NO. Hakoda was ditched the next episode along with Haru, Teo,  and the random guy they picked up at the prison! Most of them not seen again until the end of the series finale! What was the point of that? He kept Suki along with them through the end at least so finding her at the Boiling Rock made sense.

Instead of angsting about his dad being at the Boiling Rock why couldn't he have angsted about Suki the whole time instead? It would've provided the same motivation for him and Zuko to have their bro adventure there.

And this ties in to the second part of my anger at the episode

So they go there for Sokka's dad right? And it's like a bonus prize that Suki happens to be there as well etc?

WELL....

What if they were going there for Suki the whole time and the bonus find is someone else equally important to the story and a well-known character, etc like I don't know maybe freakin' JET?!

I know, I know he "died" at Lake Laogai. But it was left unclear. He wasn't confirmed dead until the series was over. And you know he totally could've been at the Boiling Rock. Because Azula took over Ba Sing Se and if Jet was a prisoner she could've easily had him transferred with other prisoners during her time there behind the scenes. It would've been an easy explanation.

And then the bust out scene would've been even more awesome with Jet involved don't you think? Him and Zuko fighting side by side instead of against each other? and them making out in a cooler or something

"but what about the Maiko moments? aren't you a Maiko shipper too?" those of you who know me may ask. Well, of course, I like the Maiko. But you know what? To me it would've been even more touching for Mai and Zuko to have their spat and then for Mai to see Zuko with Jet and their chemistry and realize he really isn't the Zuko she knew as a child anymore. And because she genuinely loves him she saves them anyway because his safety and happiness is most important to her. And in the end when he's Fire Lord and she's free they remain friends and she's supportive of his life partner decision because she and Jet can bond over sharp pointy things.

And then wouldn't it have been awesome to have Jet in the finale? To see him ACTUALLY get closure to his story? For him to participate in destroying the evil version of the Fire Nation that hurt him so deeply, to hurt the actual bad guys and be part of the group bringing peace to the world? Could you see him team up with Sokka, Suki, and Toph to take down the airships or even Katara and Zuko to take down Azula? Or, heck, even go off with Iroh back to Ba Sing Se and help the White Lotus take back the city. It would've been so amazing! and then he gets crowned Fire Queen

basically I hate the Boiling Rock because most of it was pointless, really, in the end and that was frustrating and they wasted opportunities that would've been perfect for other characters :|

Dear "Boiling Rock",

You and "Lake Laogai" tie for most upsetting episodes ever and you should be ashamed to exist. The only redeeming qualities was that Chit Sang (or however it's spelled) was kind of hilarious, Suki and Mai had bad ass moments,  and "My girlfriend turned into the moon" "that's rough, buddy".  Aside from that you are horrible and belong in The Corner of Shame. Bryke, I am disappointed. You wasted so much potential and the chance to be really progressive by making Jetko more than just subtext because COME ON Zuko is straight as a circle and totally bats for both teams he makes Aang look 10x more of a ladies man. Sigh.

Love,

Harley Quinn
Formerly known as JHZ because Jet totally did have a big ol' crush on Zuko and they bonded on a boat and there is no refuting that and your treatment of Jet was cruel and unusual punishment :|

Offline Schmitty

• Naive Fools Club!
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 63
  • A little bit crazy, and proud of it!
Re: The Most Random Rant Ever - Why "The Boiling Rock" Grinds My Gears
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 10:00:21 AM »
This entire reason for hating this episode is completely irrational. I get why you'd be upset over Hakoda being a major plot point in this episode and ditched the next, but basically the entire reason for disliking this episode is because your crack ship (Jetko) couldn't happen. Honestly, that's what I'm picking up from the whole second half of your rant.

I'm really in no mood to argue this, because I've argued everything in ATLA from shipping to story to character development/motives that I honestly don't have it in me anymore. You're perfectly within your rights to hate this episode, I just think your reasons for it are stupid and irrational.
Spread the Katara angle!

ATLA Keeps: The Taunting Fish (114), Katara's Blushes, Aang's Energybending, The Kataango, Sokka and Aang's Bromance
TLOK Keeps: Aang's Beard, Katara's importance of family, Kya's sass, Bumi's facial hair, Vacation Tenzin

Offline Harley Quinn

• hi puddin'
  • Lightningbender
  • Round 2!
  • Formerly JHZ
    • my own site yo
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 10:49:49 AM »
I'm well aware it's irrational but the shipping part is actually minor (and those who know me know that).  It really did just seem like a waste to devote a whole two parter to get one character back only to ditch them the following episode, when something else, perhaps even further plot-developing could've happened.  Like why did Chit Sang have to come along? He's like "hey sup" and then "k bye" the next episode. His scenes are still kind of the best but at the same time, with everything that needed to happen the second half of Season Three they could've done better.

There's a lot about the second half of Season 3 (before EIP) that seemed a little discombobulated, but nothing more so than Boiling Rock.

I also am the kind of person to wonder why they trusted Chit Sang at all. He's a firebender, in a high security prison.... Uh. Okay, guys.

Like pretty much everyone but Suki who was brought back in Season 3 was put on a bus until the very end of the finale (and even then did everyone get a cameo?).

But when people complain about the odd writing in Korra I'm just like "did you guys forget parts of Book 3, come on now, Bryke's done this a lot".

/tl;dr like I'm not being serious at all. It's mostly in jest. I'm HARLEY QUINN for Mr. J's sake! 

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 153
Re: The Most Random Rant Ever - Why \"The Boiling Rock\" Grinds My Gears
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 12:09:58 AM »
Because the whole point of the Boiling Rock episode was to get Hakoda out of prison, Sokka had no idea where Suki could've been contained at Azula's horrifying whims, and him trying to break his dad out of prison after the Day of Black Sun failure makes the most logical sense.

I agree that Hakoda could've been better integrated into the plot of the following episodes, but the reasoning behind Sokka and Zuko going to the Boiling Rock makes perfect sense in every conceivable manner, whereas Jet being alive would do nothing but cheapen the entire scene at the end of Lake Laogai.

It's a harmless beef, and sometimes certain things just grind up on one's spine, but the reasoning behind the distaste doesn't really hold up.

<< Post Merge: August 04, 2014, 12:12:45 AM >>

The second-half of Season 3 did always feel slightly rushed, out of place, and generally odd to me in a subconscious way, but I don't think the Boiling Rock episodes were one of the problematic factors in it. If anything, it was one of the tighter stories, along with Katara and Zuko's vengeance adventure.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 12:12:58 AM by Av »
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Harley Quinn

• hi puddin'
  • Lightningbender
  • Round 2!
  • Formerly JHZ
    • my own site yo
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 02:37:18 AM »
It was really weird how spaced out and padded the first half was up until the invasion then BAM a million things one right after another until the finale. I feel like that uh... could've been planned better. Could've certainly lived without 10 episodes of Zuko angst and emo hair. XD

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 153
Re: The Most Random Rant Ever - Why \"The Boiling Rock\" Grinds My Gears
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 09:25:18 AM »
You know what? That's exactly it. The overarching storyline of the second season had established a new precedent, yet heading into the third, they went back to the episodic slow-burn, then after the Day of Black Sun, they went into overdrive with every episode having something of grave importance going on, yet they were all disconnected. That lack of cohesion was the weird part. Everything was so important, but they were all disparate peices with no real arc to connect them. It was just the narrative waiting until Sozin's Comet, and connecting with Zuko in the mean time.
<< Post Merge: August 04, 2014, 09:28:25 AM >>

That's probably why I personally liked the Boiling Rock. My subconscious narrative senses were saying "Yes, something relevant to the season's arc, we're acknowledging the Day of Black Sun and attempting to do something about the result as opposed to meandering around, good."
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 09:28:41 AM by Av »
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.