Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Lion duz foetahgrafee  (Read 366 times)

Offline Lionheart

• Task Force
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 53
  • Taking out the dregs of humanity since 1917.
    • My FF.net
Lion duz foetahgrafee
« on: November 29, 2014, 03:43:49 PM »
Here's some of the recent snowstorm we had. Critique requested.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
Set by Waterlady

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 153
Re: Lion duz foetahgrafee
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 07:21:34 AM »
The real issue with winter is that everything looks incredibly similar. This is a problem in large part because good photographs are distinctive. They have a unique silhouette, an interesting use of positive and negative space, and a nice composition all around.

What I like to do with environments like this is find a way of looking at certain subjects from uncommon angles. Shots one, two, and four could very easily be confused with one another. A way of making them more distinctive could be to angle upward from underneath the trees, or to give the sky a larger part of the frame. The first one had a bit of this, and it's easily the best of the three shots. There's a sense of depth that reads well on the eyes, and you can feel their incredible height to the point where it almost feels foreboding and intimidating. As for the fourth picture, there are two very well-defined tree trunks at the right and left-hand sides that've been chopped off. If either were allowed to be inside of the shot, as opposed to neither in nor out, it would've actually worked to provide an interesting contrasting focal point: a dark and shady stem in a forest of muted trees. Even their branches are darker and more defined, and that one curving branch in the center coming from the right tree is really eye-catching if you look at the image long enough. There was a lot of potential for both trees if placed in the shot in the right way. Without them, there's little sense of foreground and background, and depth can really help an image. Those two trees that frame the image vertically, on the left and right, are fighting for dominance, and this doesn't provide balance or symmetry, it just makes the image feel conflicted and busy. Picking either tree and cropping out the other would've made in interesting shot in my opinion.

The third photo, the shot of the two trees, I actually quite like. The limitations of the camera's ratio aside, it would've been nice to give the trees more breathing room, either by allowing more snowy ground or sky in the shot. It kind of cuts off the tree at the top and bottom, and it feels a bit boxed in, like it's trapped in a cage. However, it's positioning on the horizontal plane is very nice, as it's not too close to the center but not off-kilter enough to feel lopsided. Vertically, it could've had more free space, but sometime's that's a limit of the frame itself. Taking a few steps back can help with that, however.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.