Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Drabble Poetry Contest 57  (Read 494 times)

Offline A6

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 230
  • avvie by Water Lily
Drabble Poetry Contest 57
« on: May 05, 2014, 01:54:52 AM »
Theme: Changes
Info: Winter is changing to spring, school is coming to an end, love, flowers and allergies are blooming, and the days are getting longer.  Write something about changes
Word count: 400 max.
Start Date: 4 May
End Date: 12 AM FT, Saturday May 17. Voting all day Saturday, winner announced May 18.

I'm so sorry I put the wrong dates in here - made it a monthly contest not weekly as it should be.

So I am giving you all til next weekend. Sorry....

<< Post Merge: May 17, 2014, 02:30:49 AM >>

Title: Changing Winds
Author: A6
Rating: T
Word Count: 411 (a little over)
Summary: A lot of change occurs in Jinora's 16th year.

(click to show/hide)At 16, Jinora stood proudly in her Air Acolyte robes. She smiled and cried simultaneously.  She’d just passed her airbender Master’s rating with Tenzin. He rushed and hugged her, and the rest of the family joined in cheering and hugging. It was the biggest change in her life.

Tenzin proudly said, “Now have to make you look like a Master.  But honey, there’s only one way. Mom doesn’t know how.”

Jinora’s voice never waivered, “I know what has to be done, Daddy, you’re my Sifu, you have the honor and the right to apply my tattoos.  Mom will be there too, so you don’t have to feel weird about it. Besides you’ve seen me when I was little.”

“Jinora, dear, you are a young woman now… so many changes, I… I don’t think I should…”

“But Daddy, it’s ok. Would you rather someone else do this and see me?”

“Well no.”

“Neither would I. You’re my father. You taught me everything. I want you to do this.”

“Well Jinora, you already proved six years ago that you know more about the spirit world than I ever will.”

She hugged him again and kissed his cheek, “I love you, Daddy. Thank you for being my Sifu.”

Returning the affection, he nearly cried, “I love you too honey, your mother and I are so proud of you.”

The kids left to go play. This was a private matter in a ceremonial room. She could see the blue ink and needles. She gulped, but said, “Let’s get started.”

She ritualistically removed her robe, with nothing underneath, and Tenzin shaved off her auburn hair. She laid down on an ancient tattoo couch, on her back first then her front.

Her father applied her powder blue tattoos with total concentration. This had to be perfect for his firstborn.

She winced and he stopped, “I’m ok Daddy. That one just caught me by surprise.”

Pema sat quietly watching the labor of love between airbending father and daughter.

In seven hours, they were done. Both parents help redress her very tender skin.

“Time for you to rest, Jinora,” Pema said.

“Not quite yet, Mom,” and she opened the door. Outside was a very anxious young man, who gently hugged and kissed her, “You look beautiful.  But…your hair?”

“It’ll grow back. I’ll wear it in a special way now.”

“I love you, Jinora.”

“And I love you too.”

Her parents smiled knowing that there was another big change coming.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 02:30:49 AM by A6 »
signatures - gift from my talented friends Water Lily and Honey Badger :3

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
Re: Drabble Poetry Contest 57
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 03:52:34 AM »
Title: Homecoming
Author: Cassidy Alice
Rating: K+
Word Count: 441 (Sorry! I know this is completely over the word-limit. ^^')
Summary: After being gone for months, he was finally home.
A/N: I apologize for the quality of this drabble. As with so many of my pieces lately, it's rushed and probably not as good as it could be, since I scrambled to meet the deadline. All the same, hope it's decent!

Homecoming (click to show/hide)
Percy stood in front of the closed door to his apartment and fidgeted. It’d been so long since he’d last been home and it seemed silly to think that he could be nervous, but he felt as if he was. He’d always had bad luck when it came to staying out of trouble; most demigods did, after all. But, nothing had ever really kept him away from home so long and he’d always returned home sooner or later. This time, it was much later than expected. His mother must’ve been worried sick. After vanishing from Camp Half-Blood, he spent several months sleeping and then some time trying to work through amnesia (courtesy of Hera), and then even more time trying to succeed in a quest. The last time he’d called home, he was in Alaska on a quest and had been able to leave nothing other than a message, which probably worried his mother even more. During his quest, he’d always thought of what he’d do when he returned home, but now that he was standing on the doorstep, he wasn’t feeling as confident as he thought he would and should feel.

I wonder how much has changed since I disappeared, he mused. He wasn’t that eager to find out but, no matter the outcome, Percy knew he’d cope; he and Annabeth were alive and they were finally home. Nothing else really mattered.

Admittedly, it took Percy a full five minutes before he finally knocked on the door. It was just about dinner time and Percy hoped his parents hadn’t gone out to eat and that he’d missed them but, thankfully, he heard the sound of footsteps on the other side of the door. He waited with bated breath for what seemed like an eternity before the door opened. And when it did, mother and son were finally reunited for the first time in months.

“Percy?”

He gave a slight smile. “Hey, Mom. I’m not dead.”

Next to him, Annabeth rolled her eyes and braced herself for Sally Jackson’s hug and the barrage of questions she and Percy would have to answer. But Sally hardly seemed to care about interrogating them. As soon as they were in, she had them seated at the table with far too much food in front of them and demanded they eat dinner with her and Paul. Percy looked like he wanted to protest, but Sally shushed him.

“After my son and his girlfriend have been gone for months, I’m allowed to be clingy and extra maternal. It’s what I do best.”

Percy and Annabeth just exchanged glances and grinned. Nothing had really changed after all.

Set from tumblr. © Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.