Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Drabble/Poetry contest 52  (Read 468 times)

Offline Water Lily

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 137
  • ~Waterbender Lily~
Drabble/Poetry contest 52
« on: March 17, 2014, 11:06:50 PM »
sorry for the delay guys! ^^

Theme: Time
Info: Depict a drabble/poem that portrays the element of time. How do you think time is important? Does it always stand superior to everything else? Anything that pertains to the theme is accepted. Can be literal or figurative. Happy writing!
Word count: 400
Start: Monday March 17
End: Friday March 21 at 12 a.m. forum time; voting Saturday; winner announced Sunday 23 March

~To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.~

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
Re: Drabble/Poetry contest 52
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 02:04:39 AM »
Whoa! This is such a great theme! *ponders*

Set from tumblr. © Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

Offline A6

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 230
  • avvie by Water Lily
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 12:52:11 AM »
Title: “Turn around”
Author: A6
Rating: K
Word count: 430, I am sorry that’s the best I can do on this one.
Summary:   For the theme of time, I walk you all briefly through my first sixty years happening later this week.

(click to show/hide)I remember the early times in my life with my parents and the joys of our fun together, the celebrations, church. relatives, the vacations, the toys, and TV, and their loving kindness.

But I turned around and my childhood was gone.

I remember the tough years of changes in junior high , the cruelties of other children, and discoveries of who I am then and now: a Christian, a Scout, an engineer, and a leader.

But I turned around and my early teens were gone.

I remember the joys of high school, the science fairs, the teachers who took me beyond small town life and helped realize the dreams I had.  Student Council President and swim team and the nervous time of that kiss with the one I thought would be with me all my life.  But wasn’t. My parents behind me and loving me as a young man and not a child anymore.

But I turned around and my late teens were gone.

I remember college, all nighters, pizza and beer, my expanded universe, my freedom, friendships and growth. And a new hand in mine that has never let go. The bittersweet loneliness of my parents as they knew I walked a new path and not alone.

But for her alone in my arms, we turned around and college was gone.

I remember being newlywed, a young man with a new job, the world at our fingertips, the playful times alone with her, places and things we’d never done, and realities of a household and jobs and responsibilities.  All the joys and tears of marriage.

But for her alone in my arms, we turned around and our twenties were gone.

I remember the middle years of my adulthood, the pregnancies, and the joys of loving each one of our children. The fun times together, the birthdays and Christmas and all the milestones of life, with their activities and tears as well as the joys. And the inevitable deterioration of aging parents whom I wished I’d seen more.

But for the children and her in my arms, I turned around and our middle age and my parents were gone.

I remember each child leaving us one by one. For college. For jobs. For lovers. Now I know what my parents felt, walking past the empty bedrooms no child will sleep in again, echoing only with bedtime stories and a kiss for an ‘owie’.

But for her alone in my arms, I have turned around and our fifties are gone.

Will I remember how many times more we can turn around before one of us is gone, and who then will be alone?
signatures - gift from my talented friends Water Lily and Honey Badger :3

Offline Water Lily

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 137
  • ~Waterbender Lily~
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 06:10:39 AM »
Such a beautiful drabble, A6! The inevitable truth of life and how significantly time plays its role in our life. Beautiful!!!

Title: The Ephemeral Master
Author: Water Lily
Rating: K

Author's Note (click to show/hide)A rendition of my experiences earlier today on my high school field trip. The natural surroundings were simply amazing, thus being the inspirations to this drabble. Enjoy!

The Ephemeral Master (click to show/hide)There was not much to do. It was a small, countryside town in the southern part of the country. A place known most likely for its art museum and enchanting farms. Every brush stroke of the land was as equally examined as the brush strokes of the artworks in the associated museum. It was a mundane, typical countryside town, and the truth remained the truth.

My feet step lightly over the millions of tiny specks of grass. I frown. The magic wasn’t as strong as I imagined it to be. Worries and reminders flashed through my mind, but I had little regard for enjoying myself. We’ll have tons more field trips in the future anyway. Yes, I was enjoying my time, but I still hesitated. Something was missing. Something wasn’t satisfying. I could still hear the mundane voices from behind me as my classmates shuffled out of the museum with moans and incoherent wails of hunger.

“Can we please go to Applebee’s now?!”

“I’m starving!”

“When are we going to leave this place?”

I sigh as the breathtaking view before me suddenly starts to enrapture me into it. I blink as my eyes meet the heart of the sky. My eyelashes take in the particles of fresh air and rejuvenate my hoarse eyelids. I was taken aback. My friends abandon me in a world of solitude and thoughts, despite the tiny moments when they flash their lingering smiles at me just for the sake of smiling. Others pass by me nonchalantly, having better things to do than admire nature, I’m sure. But there was not a bit of care within me. So what? They’re the ones missing out.

The sky was high above me but felt so close to my flesh that it’s like I could feel its every move. It’s every celestial rhythm that sent sensations jolting up my nerves. It was like I was becoming united with it. Somehow my mind loved this feeling. For a sudden moment my mind attains happiness. Peace of mind. As my irises trail over the overlapping trees that posed their way to dance over me and shelter me from the harsher side of the sun, the sky seemed to become one with my thoughts. Nature seduced my surroundings so effectively that I was mesmerized by every flutter of a falling flower petal from the white blossom trees. The magic lay mysteriously in the depths of the atmosphere, merged with curiosity and charm.

Clouds swam through the ocean of a peaceful atmosphere. For the first time in four long months, the sun showed its power through its ascetic rays. My left cheek was encased in a haven of golden light while my right cheek tingled from the winds that were kicking in. My hair…or the strands that escaped from my tight braid, rather… flew loosely and enacted their own little choreography in a centripetal force.

Yeah I’ll be on a lot more field trips in the future. But this moment? I can’t let it out of my memory. I fumble through my purse, trying to find my camera. But I stop. A moment like this was so precious that it didn’t need to just be recorded by a means of technology…It had to be lived. Experienced by the soul. Freedom kissed me hello, and my feet slipped easily off of my shoes and socks. My bare toes pressed against the ticklish grass, embraced by the soft specks. I ease out of my coat and let it drop upon the grass. And I let nature tackle me. It was Heaven on Earth.

This is life. No ACT worries, no pressuring future plans... just life...

Time is a wonderful thing, my friend. An ephemeral master. So use it wisely and take advantage of it. This moment won’t return. This time won’t come again.

~To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.~

Offline A6

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 230
  • avvie by Water Lily
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 04:51:17 PM »

What a beautiful moment of communion with nature, Lily.  Your wonderful description took us all there with you for your cathartic moment! :)
signatures - gift from my talented friends Water Lily and Honey Badger :3

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.