Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Other Fiction Contest 11  (Read 586 times)

Offline sparkstoaflame

• The one and only master tearbender.
  • Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 9
    • Check out the Avatar Cycle!
Other Fiction Contest 11
« on: January 13, 2014, 08:33:20 PM »
Theme: Growth
Info: Everyone goes through a period of growth in their lives, whether it be mentally, physically, or emotionally. Develop a story focusing on any kind of growth in a character. Good luck, happy writing! :3
Word Count: Unlimited
Start Date: Monday, January 13
End Date: 12 am FT, Saturday March 1st, voting all day Saturday, winners announced Sunday March 2nd.

Adding two weeks to the contest.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 07:58:03 PM by A6 »
If you put Korra and Asami next to each other in any given situation I will automatically assume that you like Korrasami, and then we'll be best friends.

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
Re: Other Fiction Contest 11
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 06:08:32 AM »
Have some rushed Percabeth! Sorry for the rather lame quality. ^^'

Title: Evolution
Author: Cassidy Alice
Rating:T

Evolution (click to show/hide)
Friday was Annabeth's favorite day of the week. It had nothing to do with the weekend, really. Weekends were great, but Annabeth liked Fridays the best. She had a cozy dorm on the Upper East Side, but she always spent weekends at the Jackson-Blofis apartment whenever she could. Sally and Paul were happy to have her and Percy was thrilled to be spending more time with her. Often, their Fridays passed in much the same manner; making meals together (Paul was a surprisingly good cook and Percy unsurprisingly wasn't), watching movies, and playing games. It reminded Annabeth of happier times when her father hadn't been so busy and when they hadn't fought so much. She and her father hadn't had nights like these since she was a little girl. She'd come to love those nights, but as she grew older, they were few and far between.

That wasn't the case in Percy's house. Annabeth couldn't recall a single time she'd visited and not left the place smiling. Even when Percy had gone missing, she'd left with the tiniest of smiles on her face. Granted, it was hard to see amid all the tears, but she'd worn it nonetheless. It seemed impossible not be have fun with Percy and his parents. Annabeth would never admit it out loud, but she was jealous of her boyfriend's relationship with his parents. She and her dad were no longer fighting, but her relationship with her family wasn't nearly as good as Percy's was with his family. Still, she didn't mind so much. It was awfully hard to stay jealous of Percy when Sally and Paul all but adopted her into their family. They were wonderful people to be around and Annabeth felt so at home at Percy's place, it almost seemed as if she'd been living there her whole life. She very well could have been. She spent most of her time there and, though she did feel guilty about all but abandoning her school dorm, she was having far too grand of a time to really worry about it. Spending time with Percy was great and everything else was an added bonus.

Unsurprisingly, Annabeth became the newest addition to the Jackson-Blofis family. Sally and Paul treated her like their daughter, and Annabeth found that she loved her new family. Spending time with Percy and his parents felt natural. She'd heard stories from classmates how awkward it was, spending time with their boyfriends' family, but it was anything but awkward spending time with Sally and Paul. She was so at home and comfortable with them that they were like a second family to her. Sally and Paul felt the same way, so when Annabeth casually mentioned her father would be in town next week, Sally had prompted her to call Mr. Chase and let him know he would be spending the night with them.

"Hotels are so expensive," She explained. "He's more than welcome to stay here, so long as he doesn't mind sleeping on the couch."

That was how Mr. Chase found himself standing outside Percy' apartment a week later. He'd been attending a conference and assumed he'd stay at the hotel where it was taking place, but Annabeth had told him about Sally's offer and he was delighted to hear it, since it meant spending more time with Annabeth. He was especially glad that the conference was on a Friday because he had all of Saturday to spend with Annabeth before leaving for San Francisco, early Sunday morning.

He expected that Annabeth would be the one to open the door and let him in, but to his surprise, it was Sally Jackson. Annabeth had seemed so excited on the phone when she heard he was stopping by, Mr. Chase had half expected she'd be counting down the minutes to his arrival. But when Sally ushered him in, Annabeth was nowhere to be seen. Percy was there, however, and he grinned at Mr. Chase from his place on the sofa.

"Hi, Mr. Chase. I'd give you a proper greeting, but…" He trailed off and gestured to something beside him. Mr. Chase peeked over the sofa and noticed his daughter curled against Percy, sleeping peacefully, while some nature documentary played on in the background. Percy was attempting to watch it, but until Mr. Chase had come, he'd been playing with Annabeth's curls and trying to see how long it'd take her to wake up and snap at him (which, admittedly, was not a good idea, but there was a reason Annabeth called him a Seaweed Brain).

"I could wake her up if you'd like," Percy offered.

"Percy Jackson, you'll do no such thing!" Sally scolded. "Let her be. She could probably use the sleep because she spends her time studying unlike someone."

Percy shrugged. "Math and I have never gotten along."

Sally rolled her eyes and turned to Mr. Chase. "Dinner will be ready soon. But, in the meantime, make yourself comfortable."

Mr. Chase did and it wasn't long before he and Paul were introduced and they were engaged in a pleasant conversation regarding Percy and Annabeth's academics. Mr. Chase was just in the process of describing how much he too disliked math, when Annabeth stirred. For a minute, she seemed totally confused, but when she saw her dad, she grinned.

"Dad! It's great to see you again," she said, smiling widely and giving him a hug. "How was your conference?"

"Kind of boring," He admitted, chuckling. "I'm glad it's over."

"I'm glad you're here," Annabeth replied, giving him a quick kiss and hurrying to help Sally cook. Mr. Chase just watched her, looking rather surprised.

"Since when does Annabeth cook?" He demanded.

Percy shrugged, reaching for the remote and flipping through channels. "Since she started spending weeknights and weekends here, I guess. She's not very good at it."

"I heard that!" Annabeth called from the kitchen.

Percy just grinned and returned to channel surfing, leaving Mr. Chase to process the changes in his daughter. When she'd been living with him, she'd been a little girl of seven, barely tall enough to reach certain things in their kitchen. But now, she was practically cooking the meal herself. He also couldn't help but be slightly envious of Annabeth's relationship with Sally and Paul. When she'd returned home for the first time since running away, she'd been guarded and cautious, as if she was testing her father and step-mother. Most of her time, she spent in her room and Annabeth was almost always silent during their meals. The more time she'd spent at home, the less guarded she became, but she seemed an altogether different person here. She'd never even bothered taking up cooking before, but Mr. Chase watched the ease with which his daughter helped Sally cook, as if she'd been cooking all her life.

Dinners at the Jackson-Blofis household were much different too. Mr. Chase felt like he was seeing a new side of his daughter. She laughed and joked with Sally and Paul, teased Percy, and got into an animated debate with Paul over Shakespearean plays. Mr. Chase recalled a time when Annabeth hardly said two words during dinner. He remembered the awkward silences and forced conversations but here, everything was so radically different. Sally and Paul were excellent hosts and Mr. Chase could see why his daughter had decided to leave her boarding school's dorms for this.

After a hearty meal, Mr. Chase thought the night couldn't get better, but Sally explained they usually all stayed up late and watched movies and when he heard that they were watching some of his favorites, he eagerly joined them. He remembered doing this sort of thing with Annabeth, but it had been ages since they'd had a movie night. Sally popped enough popcorn to feed a theater full of movie goers and they sat down to enjoy a couple of good, old classics. Mr. Chase was surprised Annabeth even liked these sorts of movies, but she seemed to be enjoying herself. She managed to stay awake for the first movie, but dozed off halfway through the second before she finally decided she was going to sleep so she could be well rested for the coming day.

"Is something supposed to happen tomorrow?" Percy wondered, looking puzzled.

"I hope you don't mind me stealing my daughter for the day," Mr. Chase said. "It'd be nice to spend some time with her before I head back home."

Percy shook his head. "Fine with me. With any luck I can beat her high score on that video game."

"As if," Annabeth scoffed. "Unless you've got a brilliant plan, there's no way you're going to beat it."

"We'll see," was Percy's reply as he threw and arm around her and the two headed off into his room. Mr. Chase looked visibly alarmed when he saw the door close.

"They sleep together?" He demanded.

"Oh, no!" Sally said, hastily. "Percy sleeps on the floor. But they do sleep in the same room. It helps with the nightmares and such."

"Nightmares?"

Sally nodded. "After their latest quest, it's been a common occurrence. Not frequent, though."

"Dare I ask what happened?"

"I'm not so sure you'd like to hear it," Paul admitted. "It was pretty harrowing, but Sally could tell you."

And tell she did. Sally narrated all she knew about how her son and his girlfriend had ended up in a certain pit of evil and the outcome. When she was finished, Mr. Chase looked stunned.

"Annabeth wrote to me and told me some of that, but nothing like what you mentioned. In fact, she left out a good deal."

"It's not the easiest to stomach," Paul said. "And she likely didn't know how. We had to wait a week before Percy would explain to us what happened. If I hadn't known about the Greek gods and such being real, I'd have dismissed it as some prank or something."

Mr. Chase nodded, but he remained pensive throughout the rest of the night. Even when he was getting ready for sleep, his mind was swirling with thoughts. Consequently, he was up until the early hours of the morning, just thinking. When his mind settled down enough to allow him some rest, he was awakened from sleep by rushed footsteps and saw the light go on in Percy's room. Silently, he jumped to his feet and went to investigate. He found Percy and Annabeth awake, but he couldn't hear what they were whispering about. Sally sat next to them on the bed, stroking Annabeth's hair and whispering something to her. The daughter of Athena gave a smile and hugged Sally before crawling back into bed. Percy gave her a quick kiss and slipped into his sleeping bag on the floor.

"Is everything all right?" Mr. Chase wondered when Sally exited the room and entered the small, dimly lit passageway.

Sally nodded. "All taken care of."

Mr. Chase couldn't help the envious feeling that overtook him again. He recalled waking up in the middle of the night to find his young daughter terrified from a bad dream and comforting her and he'd have likely done the same thing now, if his services had been needed. But, Sally (and Percy) seemed to have taken care of everything already.

"Well, if I'm no longer needed, I think I'll head back to sleep," He said, somewhat awkwardly. He turned to go, but stopped when he noticed the array of pictures hanging on the wall. Most of them featured Annabeth and Percy, but a few were of Sally and Paul. Honestly, it seemed as if they had more pictures of Annabeth than Mr. Chase did himself.

"I hope you don't mind," Sally said apologetically, referring to the pictures. "Percy was never all that big on pictures, but he didn't seem to mind so much with Annabeth there."

Mr. Chase observed all the pictures, noting Annabeth's radiant smile.

"No, it's perfectly all right," he responded.

"Annabeth talks about you often," Sally mentioned.

"She does?"

Sally nodded. "She's really excited you're here. When she told me you were coming, I figured it'd be a lot pleasanter for both of you if you stayed here instead on an expensive hotel."

"I can't tell you how grateful I am for your hospitality," Mr. Chase replied. "It means a lot."

Sally just smiled good-naturedly. "Your daughter is a godsend, literally." She and Mr. Chase laughed over her pun. "She's saved Percy's life countless times. It's the least I can do."

"Thank you."

Sally just nodded and returned to her room and Mr. Chase fell asleep with a smile on his face that night.

The following morning dawned bright and clear and Annabeth was up bright and early, excited to spend the day with her dad. Sally had sent the two off with a wonderful breakfast and it wasn't long before they were roaming the streets of Manhattan. Mr. Chase was unusually quiet at first. Annabeth prided herself on her ability to read people's thought and she had a fairly good idea what her father was thinking.

"It isn't like that, Dad." She laughed.

Mr. Chase looked puzzled. "Like what?"

"I know what you're thinking. You're thinking that I've replaced you with Percy's family. Sally and Paul are amazing, but you're still my dad."

"It's remarkable how much like Athena you are. She always knew what I was thinking just by looking at me."

"Must be an Athenian thing then," Annabeth said, smiling.

"How is she?" Mr. Chase wondered.

"Same as ever," Annabeth replied. "Still upset I'm dating "sea spawn."'

"I'd imagine having your daughter date the son of your immortal rival is upsetting."

Annabeth shrugged. "Probably."

"So, you really love Percy, huh?"

Annabeth had never really seemed like a love-struck teenager, but in that moment, she did. She simply nodded and Mr. Chase sighed.

"Guess this means it's going to be a while before your come home, huh?"

"I'm not staying here forever, Dad."

"I know," he admitted. "But, it just seems like I've missed all your childhood and now you're a young woman, all grown up, and well…I feel cheated. I don't want to miss anything else."

"Nothing to miss."

"You'll invite me to the wedding, won't you?"

Annabeth blushed. "Dad!"

Mr. Chase just laughed. "I'm teasing…mostly."

Annabeth shook her head, but she was smiling. Truthfully, she'd had her doubts about her father visiting and spending the whole day with him, but she was pleased to see he hadn't changed. She'd been a little worried about their outing, but she found she no longer felt all that anxious about it. In fact, she didn't feel nervous at all. Just happy.

Mr. Chase must've picked up on her mood, because he smiled. "I know we haven't had the best relationship, Annabeth, but I'm happy that you're happy. And if I have to come to New York to steal you from your boyfriend and his family, then I guess that's what I'll have to do."

"Anytime, Dad." And with a smile, she followed her father deeper into the city, feeling excited, for once, to spend time with him.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 12:53:34 PM by A6 »

Set from tumblr. © Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.