Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Would Anyone Like to Beta-Read a Fantasy Novel? =)  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Singer of Time

• The World-Weaver
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 36
    • My DeviantArt
Would Anyone Like to Beta-Read a Fantasy Novel? =)
« on: February 22, 2013, 06:59:46 PM »
Yep, as the title suggests. x3 I hope this is the right place to post this, but if not, go ahead and move it.  It said it was the right place in the Writing section of the Gym. x3

Anyway, much of my creative energy lately has been put into an original story; and I've finally finished it and read through about 3 times, eliminating as many grammar or spelling mistakes and setting straight any continuity errors as I possibly can.

Now, I would just like a few fresh sets of eyes. x3 I'd just like to know what might or might not be changed around, or made more or less detailed...and highlighting any grammar mistakes I may have missed couldn't hurt either. ^^;  I wish I had something to offer for the help other than a spot in the final published book's acknowledgments.  After all, it's an important job, and I am definitely ready to listen to criticism and just what people think of the idea in general.

Here's the premise I've written as a back-of-the-book blurb:

"Alexia Windrain always had the idea that she wasn't worth anything.  Never to learn magic like her mother, abandoned in the care of the Master Wizard Malyg Joran and living under his thumb and ire for eight years, and hiding away from the magic-hunting eyes of the feared Bright Souls, there was little for her to look forward to.  And then the day comes when she learns a forgotten magic skill, and was nearly killed by her old Master because of it.

Her life changes as she escapes and is told to venture into the Forbidden Land, an abandoned world where the Arcane forces still govern, but has purged itself of the human presence.  With the help of Kaal, a young dragon who has lived with the dire realization of being the last of his kind, she sets off to travel through a sundered world: a haunted portside town, a desert with desolate villages and cursed inhabitants, an ancient mountaintop temple, and an abandoned city in the belly of a mountain...all to find the truth about her parents, to protect the Forbidden Land's power from the Bright Souls, and find the true extent of Joran's treachery...and while discovering her own power and self-worth."

The novel runs about 191 pages (so yes, it's literally a novel read, heh.  I hope I'm not asking too much, but I don't mind if people take their time) including the title page and a short preface about the world itself, and 19 chapters.  I use a program called LibreOffice to write, which is a free program much like Word; I can even save in Word's .Doc formats, or practically any other text files including PDF.  Just tell me how you'd prefer to read it, and I'll hopefully be able to do that and also hope that all my formatting is saved in the process. x3

So, yeah.  I look forward to and appreciate any help that the writers and professional readers here have to offer. ^^

Edit: I forgot to mention, please provide a way for me to send the thing to you, like an email. XD
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 05:43:40 AM by Singer of Time »

Offline FIGJAM

• Traveler Unknown. Rabblerouser. The Trendsetter of TKC
  • Chi Blocker
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 37
  • I tried to pay attention, but attention paid me.
Re: Would Anyone Like to Beta-Read a Fantasy Novel? =)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 08:08:11 PM »
I'm interested; export it as a PDF and send it to me.

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 08:53:59 PM »
I'd love to help! I'm not a professional anything, so I dunno how much help I'd actually be, but I'd love to help if possible. ^-^

Set from tumblr. ę Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

Offline Glitch

• Caleb
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 116
  • Appreciate every mistake your friends make.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 09:26:29 PM »

Offline GothicAngel

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 90
  • All roads lead to Rome, but we ain't goin' to Rome
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 04:44:47 AM »
This sounds interesting! I'd really love to read this, if my opinion is worth anything to you.

Offline Singer of Time

• The World-Weaver
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 36
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 05:39:32 AM »
I'm interested; export it as a PDF and send it to me.

Many thanks!  Do you have an email address you could PM, or is there another way you prefer?

I'd love to help! I'm not a professional anything, so I dunno how much help I'd actually be, but I'd love to help if possible. ^-^

x3 Doesn't matter, I'm not just looking for professionalism, any sort of input is accepted.  ^^ You never know, you might end up being a good critique. =)  I'll email a PDF to ya.  And I'll probably stick to that format, since it does well to save all my italics and whatnot.  Thanks!

This sounds interesting! I'd really love to read this, if my opinion is worth anything to you.

I'd love any and every opinion given. =)  Thanks!  Got an email or something else I can send it by?

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.